Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I’ve been waiting for the outcome for over 6 months now. I was told it has been going through mandatory checks.

I know these checks can take up to 12 months or even more. I need to know if it takes as long for someone applying for a temporary visa only?

I also would like to know if there is a possibility my application gets refused after all this wait?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I don't understand the first part of your question. Please can you reword it?

Here's an answer to what I think the question is - - can temporary visas take longer then 6 months - yes but it depends on the visa subclass and the applicants particulars. Some temporary visas taking this long would be outside of the service standard and worth following up.

Is it possible you can still be refused after so long - yes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that’s what I meant! Thank you so much!

I mean I would understand the extreme vetting process if I was seeking permanent migration, but I’m just seeking to spend a few days! I have (had) a very short travel plan. My proposed entry date has since passed.

Regarding the national security check, I mean surly I have no links to extremist groups, organized crimes and whatnot, so would they still refuse me after all of that? I’d be beyond mad!

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
Usually delays with mandatory checks are the result of slackness on the part of the authorities in the country the checks are being carried out in.
The service standards are based on the assumption that all the information required has been supplied.
Are the checks being carried out in your home country? Or a country you have resided in?
Have you travelled before without a problem?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks Aussiesteve! Besides my home country and Australia, I lived in the US, but this was 9-10 years ago. They never asked me to provide police clearance or anything.
I can get police check from my home country probably in 10 days but I don’t think they’re interested!

I did travel a bit, yes. In fact I just returned from holiday in Europe.

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
Many thanks Aussiesteve! Besides my home country and Australia, I lived in the US, but this was 9-10 years ago. They never asked me to provide police clearance or anything.
I can get police check from my home country probably in 10 days but I don't think they're interested!

I did travel a bit, yes. In fact I just returned from holiday in Europe.
It certainly seems a bit unusual, I presume you have never overstayed a visa or been deported from anywhere, as either of those actions could trigger an extreme vetting of your application.Is your home country, or any of the countries you have visited considered a "High Risk" country in the eyes of the Department?, as that may be another factor that could slow things down.
Did you need a Visa to visit Europe? if so was it granted quickly?
Sorry about the questions but just trying to create a picture of where the problem might lay.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Aussiesteve, I really appreciate it!
Yes unfortunately I unintentionally overstayed, Aus visa a few years ago. My applications for Aus visa were refused for pic4014, genuine temporary entrant; not enough “incentives to return” and such.
However, they were never referred for external checks before, and never took this long!

I’ve been googling these checks and it was mentioned they were only related to the potential threat to Australia’s national security.
I wasn’t, however, asked to fill out form 80 or anything, and they didn’t request PCC from any country I lived in.

Regarding high risk countries I’m not quite sure. I couldn’t find the HR list. The definition of HR doesn’t apply to my home country, there is no unrest, political or economic instability, and no high numbers of fraudulent applications and overstays. However, I read some posts suggesting that all of the countries that aren’t on the Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)’s list are considered high risk, so idk.

Regarding visa of other countries yes I do have three on my current passport including Schengen and US. Their application process was smooth and easy. I traveled to other neighbouring countries I’m allowed to enter with just an ID. No issues what so ever.

Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.