Australia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Applying 485 visa from a tourist visa 600

Dear everyone,

I am currently in an urgent situation with my visa. My current visa is 573 and will expires on Friday 15/03/2019. I have finished my study thus wish to apply for a 485 visa. However, a big mistake on my part, I have not taken an IELTS yet meaning my application will be incomplete.

I am trying to apply for an onshore tourist visa (600). Will this application be able to extend my legal staying time, or at least grant me a bridging visa so I will have enough time to complete my 485 application? And how should I explain my situation when applying for this tourist visa?

I am looking forward to your reply and guidance,
Thank you for reading

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
While you’re in such a critical situation, have you considered seeking some professional advice?

I wonder why the sc. 485 visa is so problematic for so many people.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi CCMS,

Thanks for the reply.

It is a critical situation and I've been kicking myself for this :(. I did reach out to some agents and will have consultations on this coming Monday 11/03 (my ex-agent is clueless about 485 visa unfortunately).

Right now I'm finishing my 600 application so hopefully the agents can have a look on by Monday. If everything went smoothly, the 600 visa will be lodged no later than this Wednesday which is still within the time frame, just!

I just want to know if applying for 485 visa after that is applicable? Providing that I will have a bridging visa A or be granted a 600 visa.

Thank you for reading

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
This stream is only available if you applied for, and were granted, your first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011.

If you held your first student visa prior to this date, even as a child on your parent’s student visa, then you will not be eligible to apply for this stream.

We will process your visa application if:

you are the main holder of a current student visa, (but not one supported by the Defence or Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister)

you held a student visa within the past 6 months before your application and you now have a Bridging Visa A or Bridging Visa B, granted on the basis of a valid application for a visa

you held a student visa within the past 6 months before your application and you now hold a substantive visa

your student visa was cancelled, but in the past 28 days the Tribunal has notified you of a decision to set aside and substitute the Minister's decision not to revoke the cancellation

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks CCMS, I’ve read the 485 eglibility requirements and believe this is my only shot to apply for it. All conditions are met but the time frame. Thank you for replying. 🙂. Any further guidance will be greatly appreciated too.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
From what has been posted, if a 485 is refused, you are in serious trouble. Withdrawing the application to avoid a refusal and reapplying might be a strategy to be considered. This is NOT a considered professional opinion. May I suggest that you seek professional advice immediately?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My query is that my student visa just expired 2 days ago and I just got all the documents to apply for 485 visa.

Because I'm not on any visa right now, I was wondering if I can apply for tourist visa 600 and then later can apply for 485 from it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.