Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI! Long time no post. ;) So this is a question I've probably seen a million times but never answer/pay much attention to as it's not my forte. :) I have a new sister in law and my brother in law wants to bring her for a visit so she can see her nephew. :) She's a Chinese national originally, but living in the US now with her American husband awaiting her green card. They want to visit Australia for about a week. She doesn't have a job to go back to in the US because she can't legally work until she hits the next step in the green card process. Her husband does, though, and he'll be traveling with her.

He has an ETA - but what tourist visa should she apply for here in Aus, and can I write her a letter to invite her? :)

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Subclass 600. You can write an invitation letter.

She should check about leaving USA while waiting for the green card. A guy from work went to USA on a k1 visa and I thought he needed to ask permission to leave USA before he got his green card.

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, she had to wait until she got the okay to travel overseas. She's got it now. :) They were originally going to visit at Christmas.

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know what kind of things the letter needs to say? I've never seen one of these and have no idea what it needs to include. Maybe there are guidelines. If I weren't so sleep deprived I'd have Googled by now, haha. Need to do that tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
There is no set example. You just write your name and that you are an Australian PR and that you are inviting her to visit. Then you write if they will be staying with you and what you will be doing when they visit.

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mish! :) I soooo can't wait!

Reactions: Mish

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Good-luck - just remember to apply ASAP because it may take more than 30 days to grant the visa.

Some other things that I thought of. Make sure you supply your brother-in-law's bank statement (if they don't have a joint bank account), rental agreement or house ownership for their place in the USA.

I don't imagine it being an issue since she is living in the USA and married to an American citizen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.