Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early this year, I helped my Vietnamese girlfriend at the time to apply for a tourist visa to Australia. The visa was refused for what I think is dumb reasons.
- no savings in the bank
- not satisfied she would return to Vietnam

I provided a letter of invitation, a statuary declaration specifying I would be responsible for all her financials/living expenses, guarantee/promise I would ensure she complied with visa conditions etc., and also copies of my pay slips and bank statement. I am on a high salary and have decent cash savings. The lady in question had 2 young children in Vietnam which would be cared for by her parents during her absence, as stated in her application. In Vietnam, she was full time employed and had a letter from her boss stating this, her salary earned and guarantee of employment upon return.

And yet, the OZ embassy in Vietnam refused her visa.

Step back a bit.... previously I was married to a Vietnamese. We succeeded in 2 of her sisters getting tourist visas with the same criteria/information as above. In both cases, neither had employment and of course, no money/savings. Both had children in Vietnam.
After applying for both of their visas a year apart, both were granted within a week as compared to the 2-4 weeks estimated processing time.

Go figure !

Because Oz would not grant my girlfriend a visa, and with me not planning to go back over to Vietnam again until late this year, we agreed to go our separate ways and see what happens when I am next over there.

Some might judge me, however, I have a few lady friends in Vietnam that I would politely call "friends with benefits". One of them has recently ceased her employment and in our talking frequently online, I suggested that I might give her a hand applying for a visa to come over for a holiday. She is just a good friend who likes engage in bedroom activities with me. There is no boyfriend/girlfriend relationship pending or likely to develop. We just enjoy each others company and have fun in bed, in the pool, on the beach or where ever else we want to get down and boogey.

My question is, given the increased cost now of a visitor visa and our/her circumstances, what could I provide along with her visa application to get a tourist visa for 6 - 8 weeks ?

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
For a Visitor Visa to be approved the applicant must be intending to do activities for the Visitor Visa class applied for.

The applicant must also meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements - this is determined by the Immigration Policy of the day.

Having said that, even if you know the policy and meet the requirements - it is often a lottery.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
This was immigration policy and still might be?

Generally, offers of support or guarantees given by family and friends in Australia are not
sufficient evidence of a genuine visit. The onus is on the applicant to satisfy the decision
maker that they intend only to visit Australia. Guarantees from connections in Australia
can, however, be critical in assessing whether an applicant has or has access to adequate
funds. When refusing a visitor visa application in relation to the "genuine visit" criterion,
delegates should be careful not to confuse the applicant's financial circumstances as an
incentive to return and their access to "adequate funds".

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
If the visitor has no savings then the person who invites them is seen as a sponsor, of sorts. If the OP provided income and savings docs then maybe they didn't think it was enough.
The possible confusion for some, when the word "sponsor" is mentioned, is thinking it may be the Visitor visa (subclass 600) Sponsored Family Stream visa as opposed to the Visitor visa (subclass 600) Tourist Stream.

Maybe immigration should give the 5 different subclass 600 visas, different numbers.

Immigration seem to use the word 'sponsor' very specifically.
Sponsors must be relatives, but anyone can offer financial support.

The embassy in each country seems to have different approaches to people applying without their own financial resources, and the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements.

We did one when we said it was for the purpose of staying together, in Australia, while we waited for a Partner Visa, and it was granted. Others have shown decent personal bank account balances, and education enrolment in home country, and been refused.

It is the luck of the draw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.