Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Long time reader but only made an account today to ask this. I would like to thank everyone here as the long wait for 820/801 was made much easier by reading about other peoples experiences.

I was granted PR (801) a few months ago. My parents would like tov isist me for a few months. WOuld it be better for them to apply through the tourist stream or the sponsored family stream?

Further, am I able to lodge the application on their behalf using my immiaccount? I read on the DIBP website that as their child I am authorized to make the application just not sure whether I should use my immiaccount or make a new one for them.

Thank you! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for a family sponsored you have to be settled for 2 years so you can't sponsor them.
Hi Aussie83, thanks for your reply.

I was under the impression that settled means living with a valid visa for at least 2 years, is my understanding wrong? I have been in Australia for almost 10 years.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hi Aussie83, thanks for your reply.

I was under the impression that settled means living with a valid visa for at least 2 years, is my understanding wrong? I have been in Australia for almost 10 years.
Settled, in relation to an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, means lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Settled, in relation to an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, means lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period.
Hi CCMS, thanks!

Is there any defined criteria for "reasonable period"? I would think 10 years would count as reasonable?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hi CCMS, thanks!

Is there any defined criteria for "reasonable period"? I would think 10 years would count as reasonable?
No, it's not further defined. I'd say 10 years is more than reasonable. They usually consider 2 years to be reasonable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.