Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tourist visa or partner visa straight up

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  davejochow 
#1 ·
So my wife and I marry in October in a Bali, she will be 7 months pregnant come December and are contemplating getting her here on a tourist visa 3 months stay. Last time she had the 'no further stay' on it. Friends say if she comes on that then in February at 9 months too risky to fly n get fast tracked a partner visa plus child born here safe n sound.
Am i on the right track?

#2 ·
Being pregnant or having a child won't speed up the processing of a partner visa. Has she already applied for the visa?

Trying to time her visit to coincide with being unable to leave seems a rather unethical use of a visa.

#3 ·
Hi
I am afraid you.have been given the wrong advice, being pregnant , having a baby or getting married count for nothing and certainly don't fast track anything.
I would suggest you.read the many posts here where people have been down a similar path.
Have you submitted your visa application yet?

#4 ·
If she comes at 7 months pregnant she may get turned around at the border because they will think she will overstay.

Also some airlines will not allow you to fly after 6 months unless you have drs permission.

Also her tourist visa may be rejected if she is married to an aussie and has not applied for a partner visa. Also with the fact that she is pregnant as well will be a reason as she may be seen as not being a genuine tourist.

Pregnancy is not a reason to fast track a visa.

#5 ·
Why not apply for the partner visa as soon as you are married, provided you can meet all the other requirements ? That would be the logical and correct way to go about it.What you are proposing could backfire badly.

Alternatively wait till the child is born and then apply for a tourist visa, which most likely will come with condition 8503 anyway...

Reactions: Dinkum
#6 ·
Hi, i think pregnancy does count for something in certain cases, but not all, and it makes the relationship more genuine. I just know because when we first got married and applied for a partner visa the case officer said to my husband straight away "Is your wife pregnant? If so i will process your visa immediately". He said no because i wasnt and it took another 2 and a half years and a rejection before he got a partner visa. I wish I. was pregnant at that stage, to save us the wait but I was only 19! Then i had a friend who had a child with her Nigerian partner and it took 8 years for him to get a visa because he had overstayed his visa for 7 years and his wife didnt know about it. Talk to the embassy about it.

#7 ·
Unfortunately that was a very long time ago in terms of migration law and policies, and things have changed drastically. So many applicants applying are pregnant these days, they no longer give any sort of preference to pregnant applicants - this goes for onshore applicants, as well as offshore applicants at every embassy except India, which does its own thing for whatever reason and does put pregnant applicants through more quickly.

#12 ·
And quite honestly, I'm glad they no longer prioritize applications for pregnant applicants. I understand the desire to be together, but those of us who knew that while you're waiting on a visa isn't the best time for it and actually took steps to make sure that didn't happen would probably still be waiting on our visas! :p Haha.

Reactions: Becky26
#13 ·
I totally agree with you. Also what about those who make the decision that they are not financially ready for children at that stage ... why should they be penalised?

Also with all the infertility issues these days it is hardly fair on them either .... one could say it borders on discrimination.

Also what about people that opt not to have kids because of medical issues? They would lose out too!

I am glad DIBP don't give them preferences :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.