Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

Im getting married on May 2018 and my partner is an Australian citizen, so Im preparing to apply for partnership visa right after the wedding, but my student visa ends on 21st of November 2018 while my course ends on 15th of July of same year. During this four months period, should I find a short course to enrol? Just to fill in the gap until my student visa ends, and to prevent from making my student visa be cancelled due to unerollment

Hoping anyone could advise and help :(

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
No expert but think there will be no active part to have your COE cancelled by your training provider. So no reason to cancel your Student Visa.

So I expect your Student Visa to naturally expire, then you would be on the BVA if you had applied for the 820.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No expert but think there will be no active part to have your COE cancelled by your training provider. So no reason to cancel your Student Visa.

So I expect your Student Visa to naturally expire, then you would be on the BVA if you had applied for the 820.
Thanks so much for the response.

I was advised by my current agent that I need to be enrolled in school not longer than 2 months after my course finishes cause I need to be in an institution until my student visa ends or else my BVA would be cancelled and my 802 application would be affected. Then after advised me to look into short courses to enroll which doesnt make sense :(

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
What sort of agent?

A Registered Migration Agent - or a education agent that is not allowed to give migration advice?

And when they do it is often wrong

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What sort of agent?

A Registered Migration Agent - or a education agent that is not allowed to give migration advice?

And when they do it is often wrong
It is my Education agent. Seems like they are giving me wrong information :(

Other thing, if I wish to further my studies and take diploma course later on under BVA, will I be allowed to study part time and/or distance?

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
The BVA you would be issued usually comes with no restrictions to work or study, but you can confirm this once you receive it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The BVA you would be issued usually comes with no restrictions to work or study, but you can confirm this once you receive it.
Hi Maggie

I heard that BVA follows the condition of my previous visa, which is student that comes with study and work limits. Is this information incorrect?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I heard that BVA follows the condition of my previous visa, which is student that comes with study and work limits. Is this information incorrect?
It depends on the visa you apply for. Bridging visas associated with an onshore partner visa application normally come with "nil conditions", meaning there is no work restriction.

Your student visa will last for the duration of your study programme (including holiday periods) and will allow you some time to remain in Australia at the end of your course.

Your student visa grant letter would explain all the conditions you are subject to. Maybe your education agent is keen to sign you up for another course , so they can claim another commission?

Education agents in Australia are prohibited from giving migration advice, unless they are also a registered migration agent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It depends on the visa you apply for. Bridging visas associated with an onshore partner visa application normally come with "nil conditions", meaning there is no work restriction.

Your student visa will last for the duration of your study programme (including holiday periods) and will allow you some time to remain in Australia at the end of your course.

Your student visa grant letter would explain all the conditions you are subject to. Maybe your education agent is keen to sign you up for another course , so they can claim another commission?

Education agents in Australia are prohibited from giving migration advice, unless they are also a registered migration agent.
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the clarification. My student visa with working limit ends on 21st of November, but course finishes 4 months earlier than my visa expiry date. After lodging in my partner visa application and finishing up my course, should I just wait for my student visa to end, without having to enroll? And wait for my BVA to take effect?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the clarification. My student visa with working limit ends on 21st of November, but course finishes 4 months earlier than my visa expiry date. After lodging in my partner visa application and finishing up my course, should I just wait for my student visa to end, without having to enroll? And wait for my BVA to take effect?
Most of the student visas I do remain valid for about 3 months after the end of the course and no further enrolment is required. If your student visa is based on the CoE ending in July, I can't see why you would need to enrol in another course. Have a good look at your visa grant letter. It should contain all this information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Most of the student visas I do remain valid for about 3 months after the end of the course and no further enrolment is required. If your student visa is based on the CoE ending in July, I can't see why you would need to enrol in another course. Have a good look at your visa grant letter. It should contain all this information.
Hi Nick

I previously changed my course to relatively 2 months shorter than my primary course, though my coe duration has changed, my visa expiry still remains the same, which is along with my primary course duration.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can only speak from personal experience, but I was on a student visa before switching over to the 820. My course ran for 3 years and finished December 2017, but my visa was valid until March 2018, as was the case for one of my friends in the same course. I believe it is quite normal to have some extra time left on the visa after completion of the course. Furthermore, as you are no longer studying (after course completion) the working restrictions no longer apply :) My bridging visa A came with nil restrictions, despite being on a student visa at the time of application.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can only speak from personal experience, but I was on a student visa before switching over to the 820. My course ran for 3 years and finished December 2017, but my visa was valid until March 2018, as was the case for one of my friends in the same course. I believe it is quite normal to have some extra time left on the visa after completion of the course. Furthermore, as you are no longer studying (after course completion) the working restrictions no longer apply :) My bridging visa A came with nil restrictions, despite being on a student visa at the time of application.
Thanks for helping me out. Everything seems to come into my understanding :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.