Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been looking all around but I'm still not 100% sure about translating documents for the 820 Partner application.

In the website it states:
"All non-English documents must be translated into English. Contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters for a translator.
Translators outside Australia do not need to be accredited, but they must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated."

From this, I understand that if I translate documents in Spain they do not have to be accredited government translators, but in most of the threads I've read they do have to be "official" translators ...

I have a friend who's a lawyer and in her business they offer translation services. Would this be good enough to translate my documents??

Also, if I'm applying from Australia, can I translate the documents overseas? I haven't found anywhere that specifies that this is not permitted but just double checking...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simple reason: money! I think it would be understandable that we are trying to keep the rest of the cost on top of the visa application fee as low as possible!

Everything in Australia is 4 times more expensive than in Spain (police check in Spain: 3euro, police check in Australia 40dollars...).
Translations in Spain will be so much cheaper and my mum is already helping me out sending me papers from there so thought that we might as well get the translations done over there.

All goes online anyway these days so it doesn't seem that wicked to make the translations in Spain even if I'm living in Australia...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Sugufu,
I am also have had lots of documents translated by a turkish translator who is qualified and it does state we can use them. Hope it goes well for you.

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
We used our translations that were done offshore for the PMV for the 820 as well and had no issues at all. We will be using the same translated documents for citizenship too - I asked Mark in "Ask Mark" if that was okay and he said that it is no problem.

If offshore you just need to make sure they are stamped to say that they are an official translator in that country with their details.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you Mish for your wonderful information regarding translations, I have used my translator for documents that were needed to be notarised and translated for Australian documents.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We used our translations that were done offshore for the PMV for the 820 as well and had no issues at all. We will be using the same translated documents for citizenship too - I asked Mark in "Ask Mark" if that was okay and he said that it is no problem.

If offshore you just need to make sure they are stamped to say that they are an official translator in that country with their details.
Hey Mish! Thanks for your help. I still have the question of what is an official translator and what not.. Would a lawyer that offers translations in their business would be considered "official"?? Or does it have to be someone who has a "translation" degree?

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is on the Home affairs website

Who can translate my documents into English for me?

Any document in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

A translator in Australia must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.

A translator outside Australia does not need to be accredited, but they must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.