Australia Forum banner

Travel facility expired- RRV or tourist?

874 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  paulhand 
#1 ·
My PR (801) was granted in Feb 2018 and I lived and worked in Australia from Oct 2018 to July 2020, after which we moved back to Canada.

I returned for a month visit in Dec 2022/Jan 2023. Unfortunately my travel facility has now expired.

I would like to return every 1-2 years with my family to visit our family and friends. Eventually we will move back permanently to Oz, however it probably won’t be for another 5-10 years.

What is the best way to return until I re-immigrate? At that time I would hope to stay until I get my citizenship.

I don’t feel like getting an RRV renewal each time will be well looked upon. Can I return as a tourist instead?

For reference, I have Australian ties including a house that we rent out short term, bank accounts, my in-laws and friends.

Thank you for any help.

#2 ·
My PR (801) was granted in Feb 2018 and I lived and worked in Australia from Oct 2018 to July 2020, after which we moved back to Canada.

I returned for a month visit in Dec 2022/Jan 2023. Unfortunately my travel facility has now expired.

I would like to return every 1-2 years with my family to visit our family and friends. Eventually we will move back permanently to Oz, however it probably won’t be for another 5-10 years.

What is the best way to return until I re-immigrate? At that time I would hope to stay until I get my citizenship.

I don’t feel like getting an RRV renewal each time will be well looked upon. Can I return as a tourist instead?

For reference, I have Australian ties including a house that we rent out short term, bank accounts, my in-laws and friends.

Thank you for any help.
From what I have read:

If you keep getting RRVs, you keep your PR intact.

If you do the visitor visa option, that overrides your PR, but you can reapply for a permanent visa in the future at the normal cost and processing times.

#3 ·
That’s not how this works … either way, once the 801 has passed its ‘must not arrive after’ date’ and you are offshore the PR status has gone. It can be reinstated with a successful RRV application. Having a temporary visa in the interim does not make you ineligible for an RRV, although there are some differences in how the application process works in some cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.