Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My Wife and I just applied for a partner visa here in Australia. My wife is from Hong Kong and is currently on a holiday visa. How long does it take for the holiday visa to switch to a bridging visa?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Hi

My Wife and I just applied for a partner visa here in Australia. My wife is from Hong Kong and is currently on a holiday visa. How long does it take for the holiday visa to switch to a bridging visa?

Thanks in advance
The bridging visa comes into effect when the current stay on the visitor visa expires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bridging visa comes into effect when the current stay on the visitor visa expires.
Thanks for the reply. Is there any other way to attain the bridging visa faster? We want to atttain the bridging visa and switch to the BVB so we can go back to Hong Kong to visit family.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
End of the stay period on the visa.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Is there any other way to attain the bridging visa faster? We want to atttain the bridging visa and switch to the BVB so we can go back to Hong Kong to visit family.

Thanks in advance
If she holds a BVA she can apply for the BVB now, even if the BVA has not yet come into effect.

Reactions: wrussell

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If she holds a BVA she can apply for the BVB now, even if the BVA has not yet come into effect.
Thanks again for your reply Paul. So in my case, we have applied for the 820 partner Visa and have received an Acknowledgment of Application notice email. Does this mean that she holds a BVA now which has not come into effect yet? Can we apply for the BVB now?

Look forward to your reply, Thanks

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Thanks again for your reply Paul. So in my case, we have applied for the 820 partner Visa and have received an Acknowledgment of Application notice email. Does this mean that she holds a BVA now which has not come into effect yet? Can we apply for the BVB now?

Look forward to your reply, Thanks
She should have also gotten a BVA grant notice which is separate from the acknowledgment of application received.

What visa is she on and what is the stay period listed? Having a BVA grant doesn't mean it's in effect. For example, if I were on an ETA, my visa would be valid for a year with multiple entries, up to 3 month stay period. So if I entered on it, I'd have a three month stay. If I applied for the partner visa in that time, I'd need to remain onshore for the entire stay period and after that ends, the BVA will go into effect. If I leave before the 3 months is up, the BVA will not have gone into effect and leaving and reentering would cause a new 3 month stay period to reset.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She should have also gotten a BVA grant notice which is separate from the acknowledgment of application received.

What visa is she on and what is the stay period listed? Having a BVA grant doesn't mean it's in effect. For example, if I were on an ETA, my visa would be valid for a year with multiple entries, up to 3 month stay period. So if I entered on it, I'd have a three month stay. If I applied for the partner visa in that time, I'd need to remain onshore for the entire stay period and after that ends, the BVA will go into effect. If I leave before the 3 months is up, the BVA will not have gone into effect and leaving and reentering would cause a new 3 month stay period to reset.
Thanks for your reply. She is currently on a Travel Visa. Is it possible to leave Australia and re-enter on the BVA?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Thanks for your reply. She is currently on a Travel Visa. Is it possible to leave Australia and re-enter on the BVA?
I don't know how this works. But I was told that with my ETA I could stay in Australia for up to one year, but every three months I had to leave and come back. That said, if you have already applied for the partner visa, the BVA should kick in at the end of the current stay.

Meaning if she came into Australia in April, three months after that in July the BVA should go into effect. I believe that's how it works, at least from what I've read.

Having said that, if you knew you were going back to Hong Kong, why not just wait until you both came back to lodge the application then?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Travel visa as in an ETA 601?

If a BVA is in effect, then it has no travel rights. Hence what the BVB is for.

If the BVA is not in effect, then she is bound by whatever the conditions of the visa she is on. If that's an ETA, the BVA goes into effect after a three month stay period in Australia.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
No. You must not leave Australia if only holding the BVA as it will cease when you leave, causing problems for you.

As mentioned above - you can confirm the BVA was granted and then apply for a BVB for offshore travel.

There is no such thing as a "Travel visa". If she holds a multiple entry visitor visa, she can also travel on that if you leave before the current stay period has expired and return before the expiry of the visitor visa. She will then be on the visitor visa again until that stay period ends and then the BVA will kick in. If you go this route, just make sure to re-check the BVA in good time before the visitor visa stay period ends.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Travel Visa?

Explain what this is, as it is not a visa.

It is not very hard to say exactly what visa she has and what conditions are on it.

Makes me wonder of the quality of the Partner Visa 820 is like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.