Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am planning a trip to WA from September till January. I travelled from Adelaide to Brisbane last year in a period of 3 weeks and fell in love with AU. I rented a campervan and stayed in powered campsites.
3 weeks was way too short. And when I returned home to Belgium I felt "homesick" for AU.
So this time I got 4 months of work, 1 month holiday, 3 months timecredit.
The plan is to buy campervan (looking on sites like gumtree) and travel from Perth to at least Darwin. I will try and find volunteer work via organisations like wwoofing so I can meet a lot of local people and save on food and board costs. I will leave on the 30th of August 2014 and am planning to return around the 2th of December 2014.
If anyone has tips to help me plan this trip I will be very grateful.

Nathan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Give Ultimate Oz a shout, they may be able to help you with acquiring a campervan and give you some contacts for the woofing. Also, if you feel the need for a bed and a hot shower in the comfort of a home somewhere along the way, look in to couch surfing! We did it in Townsville, the apartment was lovely, the guy really nice and we met 3 other travellers who were great fun to hang out with for a few days!

The only thing I would say is to try and find a travel partner for at least some of the way, I did a bit of the coast on my own and had my own car, it was much nicer when the driving was shared and I had a companion! Or, when you're over here and you know roughly where you will be, advertise on Gumtree for a travel partner for even just from town to town, it will take a bit of pressure off money wise and you never know who you'll meet! :0) (That's what I did when me and my farm buddy parted ways!)

Have lots of fun, bet you can't wait to get out here again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated! And yes ever since I found out work was sorted and visa granted the countdown has begon ;). How long were you there and what places did you visit?

Greetz

·
Registered
29 Posts
No worries! I've been here almost a year now and I'm never leaving! :0) I mainly did the East Coast, I started in Sydney, lived in Queensland for 5 months while I did my farm work then travelled and now settled in Sydney. It's a bit different for me because I always came over with the intention of making it permanent so I couldn't travel as extensively as I would like to have done because I had to focus on finding a job and sponsorship etc. But all that means is that I will have the rest of my life to travel this beautiful country so I don't need to rush! :0)

I reckon that time will fly by and you will be here before you know it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well to be honest that is also my intention... I want to find people who can help me find a permanent job there.. I do have the disadvantage of my age so can only come on travel visa that allows me to stay for 6 months at a time.
Here's hoping you will find that job soon :).

·
Registered
29 Posts
What is it you do? I think I may have found it, just waiting for a few formalities to be finalised! Where would you be looking to settle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I work for FedEx as a service agent. Have been with the company for 16 years now. Am not sure yet where I would love to settle. My dream is to be close to the Ocean and work with animals, whether as a paid job or a volunteer. I loved the towns on my wy from NSW to Brisbane close to the Ocean.
ay I ask how old you are, and if you have special skills that may help you find a job in AU?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ah yeah, some of those towns are lovely! You shouldn't struggle to find a job, start applying before you get here, or while you are travelling around so you can get an idea of how quickly things will move in your field when it comes to recruitment.

I'm 28 and I'm quite lucky in that there's a skill shortage in Australia for my occupation, which means I can take the time to pick somewhere that I know I'll happy working, because there's a lengthy commitment when you get sponsored by an employee, so you need to be happy! :0)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.