Australia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I think I might have put myself in a predicament. I am currently in Australia, working, and have married my fiance. Also in the process of lodging my 820 application and should have it done by end of this week, followed with the BVB application. However, while checking the DoHA website, I realized that the BVA/BVB language says that the visa will go into effect the day that my current (PMV 300) expires

Currently, my wife and I have already booked tickets to go to NZ during the Christmas/New Year shutdown period. Our flight leaves the evening of the 20th December, the same day my 300 expires. Will this pose an issue? I'm afraid that I can leave the country but my BVB won't be active since I need to be in Australia, and since I have already left the country and didn't get a chance to activate, I won't be allowed in. Am I understanding this correctly? I really prefer not to cancel my trip though I guess some of it is still salvageable.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Hi,

I think I might have put myself in a predicament. I am currently in Australia, working, and have married my fiance. Also in the process of lodging my 820 application and should have it done by end of this week, followed with the BVB application. However, while checking the DoHA website, I realized that the BVA/BVB language says that the visa will go into effect the day that my current (PMV 300) expires

Currently, my wife and I have already booked tickets to go to NZ during the Christmas/New Year shutdown period. Our flight leaves the evening of the 20th, the same day my 300 expires. Will this pose an issue? I'm afraid that I can leave the country but my BVB won't be active since I need to be in Australia, and since I have already left the country and didn't get a chance to activate, I won't be allowed in. Am I understanding this correctly? I really prefer not to cancel my trip though I guess some of it is still salvageable.
From my reading of the BVA notice, you do seem to have the problem that you are saying.

This was how our BVA was shown:
Travel overseas
This bridging visa lets you temporarily stay in Australia. It will end when you leave Australia.

If you travel outside Australia, you will need a visa to return to Australia.
You can do one of the following:
● apply for and be granted a Bridging visa B before you travel - we recommend you do this if you do not also have a substantive visa that allows you to travel or if your substantive visa will expire before you return to Australia.
● travel on your current substantive visa (if you have one that allows you to travel and return to Australia before it expires).

If your substantive visa expires while you are outside Australia and you do not hold a Bridging visa B, you will then need to apply for and be granted a substantive visa before you can return to Australia. There is no guarantee that you will be granted another visa to return to Australia.
The last bit indicates you can apply for another visa while outside Australia, (maybe a visitor visa) BUT... that could take time, with no guarantees.

I have highlighted a bit in red, that seems to say you can apply for the BVB now, but I do not know how long a BVB takes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotcha, so, it seems like my original understanding when I booked my tickets is correct. I should be fine. I intended on applying for the BVB about a month in advance from my trip. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From my reading of the BVA notice, you do seem to have the problem that you are saying.

This was how our BVA was shown:

The last bit indicates you can apply for another visa while outside Australia, (maybe a visitor visa) BUT... that could take time, with no guarantees.

I have highlighted a bit in red, that seems to say you can apply for the BVB now, but I do not know how long a BVB takes.
Thanks Jane! This was helpful. Also wasn't aware that I can apply for the BVB today. I think I will get on that ASAP then.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, sorry to bump up this thread again. I submitted my application for the BVB on 25/11, however, I have not heard back from Department of Home Affairs. I know the application mentioned 2 weeks to 3 months before travel date. I do belong in the middle of that timeframe as my departure from Australia is this Friday, 20/12. Is there any way I can expedite my process or give someone a call?

I am worried that I won't be allowed to re-enter Australia if I go. I also don't want to waste several thousands of dollars either...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm aware. Worst case scenario, I stay put and try to reclaim what I can from my trip, but, not sure why that should be the case. I have done everything accordingly to Department of Home Affairs. I lodged for the BVB at a reasonable date, I think.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Yeah, I'm aware. Worst case scenario, I stay put and try to reclaim what I can from my trip, but, not sure why that should be the case. I have done everything accordingly to Department of Home Affairs. I lodged for the BVB at a reasonable date, I think.
If you lodged online, it is unusual that you have not received a decision by now. You could try phoning 131881 to try to ascertain the status of your application.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rang them up again (once before your message encouraging me to do so again) and finally got an answer. Seems like they have a conclusion on my application, but, never updated Immi account or sent me an E-mail of my decision. I have to chase the processing team to get an E-mail notification. I guess worst case scenario, I have a BVB that I'm just not aware of. I'm banking on the fact that it's been approved. It was a very vanilla, low risk application and nothing out of the ordinary. Just traveling abroad for a holiday trip with the sponsoring partner.

Honestly, this is the most exciting my application has been to date starting from my PMV 300.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts