Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, new member here.

I've been looking on the 485 visa threads from this forum but couldn't find anything related to my case. My migration agent also wasn't really helpful to be honest.

Quick explanation:
- I have a cert IV in Accounting
- Finishing Cert III in Carpentry

I saw on the TRA website that a successful provisional skills assessment (PSA) could be used to apply for a 485 visa and follow the Job Ready Program.

My issue at the moment is: The home affairs website states that to meet the Australian Study requirements, two courses can be used as long as they are related.

My idea at the beginning was to become a builder in the future. I didn't really pay attention to the Australian study requirement back in the day though. So I'm wondering if it is possible to "connect" my accounting course and carpentry in order to meet the study requirements?

Looking on the Victorian Builders Association's website, some of the requirements to become a builder (generally carpenters become builders) are:

"Ability to:
implement financial strategy
interpret accounting documents
use costing information
prepare income and expenditure projections
manage business taxes
monitor financial performance
apply marketing principles."

So i wanted to use this document to support my application and justify my two courses as being related,that i studied carpentry so in the future I could have my own carpentry business/become a builder and the accounting knowledge would be essential.

In your experience, do you reckon there's a chance of having it approved? My migration agent only said it is possible but didn't get into more details.

I'm thinking a lot about it and trying to find more documents to back it up as if my visa gets refused I would need to leave the country before applying for another one.

I would appreciate any help.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
If you paid the migration agent for a consultation, you would expect to get some sort of definitive answer. If you didn't, you can't expect them to check it all out, as it is a very time consuming business with many variables to consider.

The following is just my opinion based on the limited information provided and in general terms only. It may not apply to your specific case.

You can't use the VBA or your future ambitions as your starting point. Your starting point should be a nominated occupation that is on the relevant skills list and its description in ANZSCO. This will tell you which qualification(s) are required and which qualifications might be considered "closely related".

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav...illed-occupations-lists/combined-stsol-mltssl

There is no such thing as "builder". The closest occupation would be "Construction Manager", which would typically require a Bachelor's Degree in Construction.

I understand what you are trying to do, but I don't think it will work. A carpenter does not need an accounting degree.Most tradies who become independent contractors would do some sort of CERT II or III business course, but would not require an accounting degree.

An accounting degree would certainly be useful to a "builder", but "builder" is not an occupation you will find on the skills list.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, thanks for your help.

Indeed, as you said, there's no such thing as "builder". I would be applying as a carpenter. I paid for the migration agent appointment actually, she told me there was a chance of having the visa approved but then went back to ask me if I have a partner here that I could use to apply for a visa. She was meant to be a senior agent, but didn't seem to know much about the JRP.

So yeah, I thought I could justify the cert IV as part of a long term plan and because there's no big gap between the level of study (cert III and cert IV), so it's not like having a degree of accounting. I'm not sure how they analyse each case though, and if a justification would make any difference.

Have a good day

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hi there, thanks for your help.

Indeed, as you said, there's no such thing as "builder". I would be applying as a carpenter. I paid for the migration agent appointment actually, she told me there was a chance of having the visa approved but then went back to ask me if I have a partner here that I could use to apply for a visa. She was meant to be a senior agent, but didn't seem to know much about the JRP.

So yeah, I thought I could justify the cert IV as part of a long term plan and because there's no big gap between the level of study (cert III and cert IV), so it's not like having a degree of accounting. I'm not sure how they analyse each case though, and if a justification would make any difference.

Have a good day
I can't see how that would work. The only thing that matters is the qualifications required for the Carpenter occupation, not your future plans.

I'll give you an example:

The applicant met the Australian study requirement on the basis of having a Certificate III in Carpentry completed one year prior and later studied a Diploma of Business and completed it within 6 months of lodgement. They nominate 'carpenter' for their nominated occupation and use their Certificate III in Carpentry to satisfy the skills requirement. Their skills assessment does not give recognition to their business qualifications. As the Diploma of Business does not assist the applicant to obtain an entry level Carpenter position, it cannot be considered as 'closely related' to the nominated occupation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, that makes good sense. What my migration agent said was that, in case I get a visa refusal, then the option would be to study a Diploma of building and construction to meet the study requirements (my carpentry course is 1 year only). Building and construction is also somehow related, but it is not specifically related to carpentry as well I would say..

I guess I will have to meet another agent and do some more research on it

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Okay, that makes good sense. What my migration agent said was that, in case I get a visa refusal, then the option would be to study a Diploma of building and construction to meet the study requirements (my carpentry course is 1 year only). Building and construction is also somehow related, but it is not specifically related to carpentry as well I would say..

I guess I will have to meet another agent and do some more research on it
If you get a visa refusal, you will most likely not be able to apply for another visa (other than a partner visa) while in Australia, unless you still have a substantive visa in place.

I won't comment on what another agent may have said, unless I can that advice in writing, but I suggest you find someone who properly understands your issues and can help you work out a realistic strategy .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.