Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I'm a new member here. I currently have the tourist visa (valid 1 yr wit maximum of 3 months per stay), and I would like to extend. I got here last Jan 23 and I believe I must leave on or before April 23. How do I extend my stay here? Also, how long does it take to apply for a student visa?

Thank you for your help. :)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
If this is the first 3 months you have had you just leave and come back.

If the visa is expiring you need to be eligable for and apply for a new visa.

The student visa doesn't take long to apply for - the time it takes to grant can vary, guidelines of processing times are posted here: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/500-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If this is the first 3 months you have had you just leave and come back.
Hi Mania, how are you? Thanks for the reply but i'm not quite sure with what you mean about leaving and coming back? Does that mean I can't extend my stay? My visa doesn't have a restriction though....if that matters. Hihi :)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Can you confirm what dates your visa was granted and is valid too - then I'll be able to better explain the following.

Your 1 year visa allows you to enter for up to 3 months at a time, you are able to leave and come back at will. Your visa will have a can't enter after date, you won't be able to enter after that date.

The visa expires at the date given if you are out of the country or at the end of the 3 month stay if you are in the country.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you confirm what dates your visa was granted and is valid too - then I'll be able to better explain the following.

Your 1 year visa allows you to enter for up to 3 months at a time, you are able to leave and come back at will. Your visa will have a can't enter after date, you won't be able to enter after that date.

The visa expires at the date given if you are out of the country or at the end of the 3 month stay if you are in the country.
Visa Grant Date is Jan 9 2018 and it's valid for 1 year.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
You need to exit via a port showing your passport then renter via showing your passport. So a round trip to Bali for instance. Will give you a fresh 3 month period.

No you can't extend the 3 month stay period.

*note cruises may not count.
While you can't extend the visa, you can certainly extend the stay period by applying for a new tourist visa onshore (presuming of course there is no condition 8503). The risk is that if a new visa is granted, it could come with a "no further stay" condition. Sometimes it's best to leave things the way they are.

Reactions: Mania

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
While you can't extend the visa, you can certainly extend the stay period by applying for a new tourist visa onshore (presuming of course there is no condition 8503). The risk is that if a new visa is granted, it could come with a "no further stay" condition. Sometimes it's best to leave things the way they are.
Fair point! I was answering the more literal question of can an extension of the 3 month period be requested whilst remaining on the current visa.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.