Australia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am provided a Temporary Skill Shortage visa (TSS 482) to work in Melbourne. I would like to know whether my spouse will be eligible to work under this visa if she is a depended and is there any free schooling available for kids under this visa?

Can I also transfer the visa in the meantime if I get PR?

Looking forward to your response.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I would like to know whether my spouse will be eligible to work under this visa
Yes, if she is a secondary applicant

is there any free schooling available for kids under this visa?
you would need to ask the appropriate education authority

This question doesn’t make much sense. If you are granted a permanent visa, it will replace the TSS visa.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
You will receive a new visa and the old one will be canceled.
It will cease not “be cancelled” - there is an important difference.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
I am provided a Temporary Skill Shortage visa (TSS 482) to work in Melbourne. Is there any free schooling available for kids under this visa?
Each State is different.

For a family of three children, on the 482 visa, it can vary depending on location, between just a few hundred dollars (the same as local students) and around $20,000.

Victoria looks like one of the cheapest.

Reactions: Afzy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All

I am provided a Temporary Skill Shortage visa (TSS 482) to work in Melbourne. I would like to know whether my spouse will be eligible to work under this visa if she is a depended and is there any free schooling available for kids under this visa?

Looking forward to your response.
I have the same visa and my partner is permitted to work. Sadly there is an annual fee for state schools.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
I have the same visa and my partner is permitted to work. Sadly there is an annual fee for state schools.
How much are the current fees in your state?

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Other considerations are that you will not get any Childcare Subsidies for young children and you are taxed at a higher rate than PR holders and citizens
The tax side may not be that simple.

You may be an Australian resident for tax purposes if you have been in Australia continuously for six months or more, and for most of that time you worked in the one job and lived at the same place.

As tax resident, you pay the same as PR and citizens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts