Australia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am UK resident with relatives in Sydney. Quick questions. I want to fly to Sydney in November 2022 > 3 months. Visa is 12 months but must leave for Visa reasons after 13 weeks. What is cheapest place I can go to outside Australia and for how long to satisfy Visa requirements b4 returning? NZ? Best.cheapest airline? I have used Qatar Airways b4. Is it going to be as wet as it was this year? Any advice appreciated. Thanks - Steve

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Hi, I am UK resident with relatives in Sydney. Quick questions. I want to fly to Sydney in November 2022 > 3 months. Visa is 12 months but must leave for Visa reasons after 13 weeks. What is cheapest place I can go to outside Australia and for how long to satisfy Visa requirements b4 returning? NZ? Best.cheapest airline? I have used Qatar Airways b4. Is it going to be as wet as it was this year? Any advice appreciated. Thanks - Steve
New Zealand does seem to be the most common option for what you are doing.

In your shoes, I would consider asking a travel agent which is best for price, closer to the time of travel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you JandE, I was mainly wondering whether the Australian authorities were opposed to people taking a short break abroad and then returning to extend their stay and how long would seem reasonable - a week, perhaps?

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Thank you JandE, I was mainly wondering whether the Australian authorities were opposed to people taking a short break abroad and then returning to extend their stay and how long would seem reasonable - a week, perhaps?
That bit I don't know, but have heard of some who go away for a weekend, and then come back. I've also heard of some who had an interview on returning.

I can't even work out why some 12 month visas are for a full 12 month stay, and some need to leave after 3 months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The basic tourist Visa (from the UK anyway) is for 12 months, however you have to leave after three months, but are entitled to return again during the 12-month visa duration for a further three months. It makes no sense to me. If you are visiting friends and relatives and have enough money to stay in Australia, eating food, buying things, travelling around on trains and generally contributing to the Australian economy, why force people visiting from half way around the planet to waste money by leaving for a short time and then returning?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts