Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I apologize for potentially sounding like a dummy. :confused:

I came to Australia on a visitor ETA, with multiple entries for 1 year, BUT staying no longer than 3 mos at one time.

I have been coming and going on an ETA for a few years, so I know the drill and always leave in time and never overstay.

However, this time around my partner and I finally applied for a partner/de facto 820/801 visa.

At the time of applying in Feb, I had one month left on my 3-months ETA stay.

However, the ETA itself does not expire until April 29, 2018.

When I applied for the 820/801, the grant letter stated that my bridging visa would not go into effect as long as my ETA was in effect.

THE QUESTION IS:

Am I allowed to stay on the ETA until April 29, 2018, EVEN THOUGH it is past the 3 months allowed in on one stay?

Will that be considered an overstay if I am technically here for longer than 3 months on an ETA?

I dont understand when the bridging visa actually kicks in; after 3 months of my being here on the ETA, or when the ETA itself expires.

The bridging visa grant letter was pretty vague on this information.

I have never been in this position before and really don't want to get myself into a situation where I have a black mark against my name for overstaying a visa.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for any insight. I am running out of time if I need to leave by the 3-month cut off.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
"At the time of applying in Feb, I had one month left on my 3-months ETA stay"

If you do not leave Australia again you will be on a Bridging Visa A (with work rights) some time in March (one month left).

You will not have officially overstayed, so you don't have to mention it in any future visa applications - technically you transitioned from an ETA to a Bridging Visa that day in March.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.