Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unskilled buffoon seeks skilled VISA, help!

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  sanch 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

1st time here so be gentle.

I plan on moving to Oz from the UK permanently next year. The only problem is my wife and I don't have any of the skills listed on the SOL.

I am willing to study or train in any field in order to qualify, I'm also willing to do a student visa for the 1st year in order to gain a qualification on the SOL and look for permanent work.

I am 29 and have lived with my wife for 7 years. We will have approx £25,000 to help us get settled in.

Can anyone advise the best way to approach this, or even the best field to train quickly and find work easily once there.

Your help is appreciated.

Sanch
x

#2 ·
Hi

What is your current field? I dont know if trade jobs are of your taste but some occupations in trade are highly in depend like diesel fitters, plumbers etc especially those relates to mining and Australia really need these trades. Many ppl are coming here on 457 employer sponsorship so mynsuggestion wud be to get that experience and then find a job in Australia. Or if u are intested in white colar jobs then engineering is the best option and more reliable to get a permanent residence.

Cheers
Saki

#3 ·
Hello everyone,

1st time here so be gentle.

I plan on from the UK permanently next year. The only problem is my wife and I don't have any of the skills listed on the SOL.

I am willing to study or train in any field in order to qualify, I'm also willing to do a student visa for the 1st year in order to gain a qualification on the SOL and look for permanent work.

I am 29 and have lived with my wife for 7 years. We will have approx £25,000 to help us get settled in.

Can anyone advise the best way to approach this, or even the best field to train quickly and find work easily once there.

Your help is appreciated.

Sanch
x
You really need to consider this a long term plan, training in something useful and the required experience to either qualify for a visa or make you attractive to an employer to even sponsor you for a 457 visa.

The reality is it will probably be a 4-5 year plan.

You are safer training in something you are going to enjoy rather than what will just get you into Australia, if for instance you are looking to be sponsored then you might be working in that occupation for at least a couple of years so it's worthwhile doing something you like.

#4 ·
I'd have to agree with CMN. The chances of getting into Australia without compelling reason (parter/family visa etc), being a student or having marketable skills is very low - and even if you did find a way you would probably be exploiting a loophole (I'm not saying you would do it) which isn't very nice for those who did wait in line with compelling reasons to get in.

If you want to do it the right way I'm afraid your only way in would be to have a desirable skill - and like CMN said it would take a lot of time and effort so it would have to be something you actually do enjoy... emigration is a fun adventure but I personally wouldn't say it's worth life's joy. At the end of the day you can be happy and unhappy anywhere.

I hope you find something on the skilled list you do like - that would obviously be ideal for you both. But yeah, as someone who moved from The Netherlands to Australia - I love it here but I have to warn you starting all over is hard enough as it is, it isn't worth investing 3+ years of your life at home training in something you don't like.

#5 ·
If you are going for a trade might be good to study in Oz, TAFE is quick, gives you good skills and is not overly expensive.
If you are heading towards higher education probably best option is to study in the UK As long as you can get a cheap/free uni place(except England and Wales, where the cost is similar to Oz). Lucky if you are in Scotland or NI.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice folks, I currently do a white collar job. Business Retention for a telecommunications company. My company has an Australian office, does anyone know if I would be eligible to apply for a sponsorship Visa in my current role for the Oz branch of my company?

I had a look online at some TAFE courses that seemed like things I would enjoy, but there would be no point in me doing these unless I could arrange a work placement during/at the end of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.