Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My partner (Australian citizen) and myself (PR) are expecting our first child in a few months. To help with adjusting to our new lives and also to help ease my return to work, we have decided to bring my mum to Australia to help take care of the baby.

Initially we thought of just getting her to come on the Tourist Visa, which means she can stay and help us for 3 months.

However, we've heard from different sources that there is a 1-year Visa for grandparents who come to help with taking care of newborns? Is this true? Or does this fall under the normal/general Tourist Visa? What type of insurance will we be required to get for her?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
There was talk of a new visa for parents, not sure if it happened it seemed a bit pricey to me but was for many years. Maybe look into seeing if that happened.

Visitor Visas come in many different ways, 3 months to 1 year (maybe even more don't remember). They come with different stay periods and can be single or multi entry.

From my memory (so don't count on it) Singapore passport holders can get a ETA visa, this visa is valid for 12 months from date of first entry but has 3 month stay periods. So they would need to go offshore by aircraft every 3 months. In theory this can give close to 15 months in Australia.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hi,

My partner (Australian citizen) and myself (PR) are expecting our first child in a few months. To help with adjusting to our new lives and also to help ease my return to work, we have decided to bring my mum to Australia to help take care of the baby.

Initially we thought of just getting her to come on the Tourist Visa, which means she can stay and help us for 3 months.

However, we've heard from different sources that there is a 1-year Visa for grandparents who come to help with taking care of newborns? Is this true? Or does this fall under the normal/general Tourist Visa? What type of insurance will we be required to get for her?

Thanks in advance!
Not sure where you got your information from (I would love to know who your sources are), but there is no such visa.

Coming to Australia with the stated intention of taking care of an infant or baby-sitting may even be a reason for refusal.

There are special arrangements for parents of Australian Citizens/Permanent residents who have lodged a parent visa, but even those come with limitations.

Your mother may well be able to get a standard tourist visa for 6 or 12 months. Or you could consider the family sponsored visitor visa.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote from recent (Jan 2018) SBS article: "The new visa which will allow migrants’ parents to stay in the country for extended periods has been delayed.

The Bill enabling the new visa to come into effect has not yet been approved by the Senate.

Here are the six must know facts about the new long stay visa for parents.

3-year-visa will cost $5000, a 5-year-visa will cost $10,000 and a 10-year-visa will cost $20,000, with the opportunity of a single renewal for another five years at the same price.
15,000 people each year will be granted this long stay parent visa.
Children/Sponsors will be required to pay for their parents' private health insurance. The children will also need to act as financial guarantor on any extra healthcare costs their parents rack up in Australia.
Those on the new visa will not be allowed to work, however, the government hopes they will take on family roles which would see “reduced pressure on childcare facilities.”
Those sponsoring their parents for the new visa need to be Australian citizens or permanent residents, or “eligible New Zealand citizens”.
The visa-holders would not be allowed to reapply beyond the 10 years and would have no pathway to permanent residency.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.