Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am currently trying to update my passport details for my student visa (I have recently gotten a new passport) ; but my previous passport has not expired as it has 1.5 years but has now been returned and cancelled. The online form for updating passport details requires me to give a reason( I have selected expired) ; but I am not sure if this is the correct option. The reasons that are allowed are : 1. Expired 2. Cancellation 3.Lost 4. Damaged 5. Incorrectly Recorded 5. Stolen. I managed to give the DIBP a call and even the officer recommended that I put expired. I was just wondering, could there be any repercussions from me choosing 'expired' as a response for updating my passport details? Many thanks for your responses!

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
“Replaced” would probably have been the best option, but is not available.So, “expired” will be the next best option.

Reactions: Viknu9

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Replaced" would probably have been the best option, but is not available.So, "expired" will be the next best option.
Hi Nick,

Thank you for your response.
Would this affect my future visa applications? I am abit paranoid that
an officer would see this as providing incorrect information - although this is clearly not the case; as I do not have the ability to provide the proper answer.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hi Nick,

Thank you for your response.
Would this affect my future visa applications? I am abit paranoid that
an officer would see this as providing incorrect information - although this is clearly not the case; as I do not have the ability to provide the proper answer.

Thank you.
I believe you are overthinking this. If you are really worried about it, add a brief statement explaining the situation. Alternatively use form 929. I can't see how you could select anything but "expired' with the online application. The new passport will effectively replace the old one and the "replacement' option is not given.

Reactions: Viknu9

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I believe you are overthinking this. If you are really worried about it, add a brief statement explaining the situation. Alternatively use form 929. I can't see how you could select anything but "expired' with the online application. The new passport will effectively replace the old one and the "replacement' option is not given.
Hi, Thank you for your answer. I may be very well overthinking this. However,
the online webpage does not allow me to add any form of statements or remarks regarding passport updates.
It only allows me to pick from the list of reasons as stated before. Thanks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Why did you have to replace your passport when it hasn't expired?
I replaced it because I thought I had to get a passport with a validity for the two year study visa that I was going to apply for.
so then I would just put expired since out of the picklist that is closest to truth. don't worry about it your not doing anything wrong. if it makes you feel better take a screen shot of ghee pick list so if anything comes up you can explain the system limitations.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so then I would just put expired since out of the picklist that is closest to truth. don't worry about it your not doing anything wrong. if it makes you feel better take a screen shot of ghee pick list so if anything comes up you can explain the system limitations.
I understand. Thanks for your reassurance, much Appreciated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.