Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to apply for 476/485 within the next month. I was told that once I apply onshore I'd be granted a BVA. However, I hold an ETA and have read that the BVA will not come into effect until I overstay my 3 month limit and void the ETA. I preferably would like to work ASAP. I am currently still offshore and have not lodged the application. Is it possible to cancel my ETA now so that I can be granted the BVA once I lodge my application?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
AFAIK, no you cannot cancel the ETA and even if you could, your bridging visa would also be cancelled which causes much bigger issues (you'd need to apply for a BVE which doesn't come with work rights, etc.). It's usually best to just ride out the ETA until your BVA comes into effect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AFAIK, no you cannot cancel the ETA and even if you could, your bridging visa would also be cancelled which causes much bigger issues (you'd need to apply for a BVE which doesn't come with work rights, etc.). It's usually best to just ride out the ETA until your BVA comes into effect.
Hi Maggie thanks for the prompt reply. I've read that cancelling a substantive visa might void the bridging visa as well but as of now I am still offshore and haven't lodged my application.

Even in these circumstances, if I cancel my ETA now, I will not be awarded a bridging visa when the time comes where I lodge my 485 application?

I currently hold a 573 visa and thought that if I cancel my ETA it'll go something like 573>BVA>485 instead of 573>ETA>BVA>485

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
You don't get bridging visas for visas that you apply for offshore.

You need to be onshore to require a Bridging Visa so you don't become "illegal" will waiting for processing of the applied visa.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't get bridging visas for visas that you apply for offshore.

You need to be onshore to require a Bridging Visa so you don't become "illegal" will waiting for processing of the applied visa.
I will be onshore when I apply for my temporary visa. Now the issue is that my ETA will inhibit me from working while I wait for a result which could be financially frustrating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.