Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, if anyone knows this~~ would really appreciate it !

i recently extended my mums 600 visitor visa and because this is the second time we extend it, not sure if it can be granted.

as im also planning to apply 143 for my mum and when i check i found there is "you might not be eligible if you had a visa refused when you were in Australia". i suddenly realized this might be a big problem for my mum to apply for 143.

my question is can we cancel this 600 extension visa application and leave while my mum is on bridging A visa? will my mums bridging A be cancelled as well? her previous visa had expired on the
20th june, will she be able to stay a few days once we cancel the visa application? maybe 28 days ?

is it true if this extension visa is refused, my mum cannot apply for 143 anymore?

can we maybe apply 143 immediately, such as tomorrow before the visa decision is made, so mum is on Bridging A, so she is still eligible at the time she is applying?

thank you so much for your help. im waiting online, really urgent !

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
[QUOTE=EmmaG;

i recently extended my mums 600 visitor visa and because this is the second time we extend it, not sure if it can be granted.

*** There was a chance the first would be refused and yes a grater chance this will be refused if she has been here for a long time already.

as im also planning to apply 143 for my mum and when i check i found there is "you might not be eligible if you had a visa refused when you were in Australia". i suddenly realized this might be a big problem for my mum to apply for 143.

*** Yep that's certainly a problem.

my question is can we cancel this 600 extension visa application and leave while my mum is on bridging A visa?

*** If you cancel the application you cancel the Bridging Visa A.

will my mums bridging A be cancelled as well?

*** Yes.

her previous visa had expired on the
20th june, will she be able to stay a few days once we cancel the visa application?

*** Would probably need a Bridging Visa C

maybe 28 days ?

*** Don't know.

is it true if this extension visa is refused, my mum cannot apply for 143 anymore?

*** I believe it would be problematic.

can we maybe apply 143 immediately, such as tomorrow before the visa decision is made, so mum is on Bridging A, so she is still eligible at the time she is applying?

*** You need to know if she qualifies now.

*** You seriously need a RMA to give you the correct advice - try contact one from the recommended sticky thread.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
hello, if anyone knows this~~ would really appreciate it !

my question is can we cancel this 600 extension visa application and leave while my mum is on bridging A visa? will my mums bridging A be cancelled as well? her previous visa had expired on the
20th june, will she be able to stay a few days once we cancel the visa application? maybe 28 days ?

The sc. 143 visa can be applied for onshore or offshore, but does not have a bridging visa associated with it. In other words, even if you lodge a sc. 143 visa now, your mother will still have to have another valid visa, like a tourist visa, to be able to remain in Australia.

So you can apply for the sc. 143 visa now, provided the requirements can be met, or do it later offshore. There is no real difference.

If your mother's tourist visa application is refused, she will be subject to s. 48 and cannot lodge a sc. 143 or any other parent visa application while in Australia. She can however lodge it offshore and come back on another tourist visa sometime in the future.

Either way, she will not be able to remain in Australia on a bridging visa in conjunction with the sc. 143 application. If she is able to apply for an aged contributory parent visa, that may be a better option, as it does come with a bridging visa.

I suggest you contact a good registered migration agent who deals regularly with parent visas. With the amount of fees involved, this is probably not something you should tackle on your own.

Reactions: EmmaG and wrussell

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sc. 143 visa can be applied for onshore or offshore, but does not have a bridging visa associated with it. In other words, even if you lodge a sc. 143 visa now, your mother will still have to have another valid visa, like a tourist visa, to be able to remain in Australia.

So you can apply for the sc. 143 visa now, provided the requirements can be met, or do it later offshore. There is no real difference.

If your mother's tourist visa application is refused, she will be subject to s. 48 and cannot lodge a sc. 143 or any other parent visa application while in Australia. She can however lodge it offshore and come back on another tourist visa sometime in the future.

Either way, she will not be able to remain in Australia on a bridging visa in conjunction with the sc. 143 application. If she is able to apply for an aged contributory parent visa, that may be a better option, as it does come with a bridging visa.

I suggest you contact a good registered migration agent who deals regularly with parent visas. With the amount of fees involved, this is probably not something you should tackle on your own.
Thank you so much for your reply. It cleared my head now.

Now my biggest worry is that if my mum's 600 visa extension refused onshore, it will cause her not eligible to apply for Visa 143 in the future. So what you mean is she can certainly apply for 143 but not onshore anymore? as long as she is offshore, she will be eligible for applying 143? Last night I found the last section of cancelled visa of Visa 143 on Immi website and it really shocked me. I even have planned to withdraw the application and leave the country.

If so, does it mean we can just wait and see if the visa is granted or not? if not we can apply for 143 once my mum left the country?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just thought about this whole onshore visa application thing,

what if I withdraw my mum's 600 visa application now , as there is no decision is made yet. My mum is on bridging visa A, will my mum be able to stay lawfully here until we book her flight ticket within 28 days, i heard there is a 28 days before the bridging visa cease after the application withdrawn?

Thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
You are worrying about nothing.

The only consequence of an onshore visa refusal is that you cannot apply for the sc. 143 visa onshore. After a refusal her bridging visa will also continue for another 35 days, so what's the difference ?She can go home and apply from there.A visa refusal does not mean she cannot apply for a sc. 143 visa offshore.

How old is your mother ? Can she apply for an aged parent visa?

As I said before, go and contact a migration agent, so things can be properly explained to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You are worrying about nothing.

The only consequence of an onshore visa refusal is that you cannot apply for the sc. 143 visa onshore. After a refusal her bridging visa will also continue for another 35 days, so what's the difference ?She can go home and apply from there.A visa refusal does not mean she cannot apply for a sc. 143 visa offshore.

How old is your mother ? Can she apply for an aged parent visa?

As I said before, go and contact a migration agent, so things can be properly explained to you.
Thank you for your reply. I definitely understand what you said. I just got the feeling that the visa might be refused. My concern is it is not a good record to have rejected visa history as to apply visas in the future. I am not sure how bad the rejected visas can cause to new applications in the future. So i want to avoid that certainly if it is deemed to be rejected. it might be a good thing that we just leave before a refusal and apply for a new visitor visa offshore. My mum has stayed since Sept 2016, since then she only had 3months offshore.

yes, i will try to contact an agent, but i worry about the application decision can be made very soon, even before I got an answer from a proper agent. I kind of want to made up my mind today about what to do tomorrow. Thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I definitely understand what you said. I just got the feeling that the visa might be refused. My concern is it is not a good record to have rejected visa history as to apply visas in the future. I am not sure how bad the rejected visas can cause to new applications in the future. So i want to avoid that certainly if it is deemed to be rejected. it might be a good thing that we just leave before a refusal and apply for a new visitor visa offshore. My mum has stayed since Sept 2016, since then she only had 3months offshore.

yes, i will try to contact an agent, but i worry about the application decision can be made very soon, even before I got an answer from a proper agent. I kind of want to made up my mind today about what to do tomorrow. Thank you!!!
If your mother has already spent 12 months in Australia during the past 18 months, there is virtually no chance that a new tourist visa will be granted.

A tourist visa refusal is no major drama as far as a future parent visa is concerned. If she qualifies for an aged (contributory) parent visa, she should apply onshore and she won't be able to that after a tourist visa refusal, unless she comes back on a new visa..

Reactions: EmmaG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your mother has already spent 12 months in Australia during the past 18 months, there is virtually no chance that a new tourist visa will be granted.

A tourist visa refusal is no major drama as far as a future parent visa is concerned. If she qualifies for an aged (contributory) parent visa, she should apply onshore and she won't be able to that after a tourist visa refusal, unless she comes back on a new visa..
Thank you so much for your replies. Really appreciate it.

My mum is 57ys, she is not qualified for aged parent visa. I think we will just withdraw that visa application, thou the additional fee is $700 which is really expensive. I will try to apply a new visa offshore for her. Will try to apply for a 12months visa her next time. How long should you think we need to wait until apply for the new visa? such as 3 or 4 months, or it should be longer?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Thank you so much for your replies. Really appreciate it.

My mum is 57ys, she is not qualified for aged parent visa. I think we will just withdraw that visa application, thou the additional fee is $700 which is really expensive. I will try to apply a new visa offshore for her. Will try to apply for a 12months visa her next time. How long should you think we need to wait until apply for the new visa? such as 3 or 4 months, or it should be longer?
Withdrawing the visa costs nothing. A refusal won't really matter, so you could just wait for that. Maybe you get lucky and it will be granted.

She can only stay for a total of 12 months in any 18 month period on a tourist visa.

Use a calendar to work it out. If she has been here already for 12 months, she'll have to wait quite a while before applying for a new tourist visa.

Reactions: EmmaG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Withdrawing the visa costs nothing. A refusal won't really matter, so you could just wait for that. Maybe you get lucky and it will be granted.

She can only stay for a total of 12 months in any 18 month period on a tourist visa.

Use a calendar to work it out. If she has been here already for 12 months, she'll have to wait quite a while before applying for a new tourist visa.
I just counted all the months my mum has been in Australia since Jan 2017. At the moment, she has been in Australia for 15.5 months.

If we leave the country and wait for another 3 and half or 4months till November to apply a visitor visa again. She will just pass the 12 out 18 months mark by November 2018. Does this mean, she can then start over again on a new visitor visa? Or she need to wait another month when she has 11 month out of 18months then apply? Sorry this is really in detail questions. I just want to have a basic idea of the dates and book return tickets soon. Thank you again!

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
It is a rolling 12 months in 18 months - so each day the number changes.

If you want a one month visa next time, the wait to application will be less.

To me it seems that you want to use the Visitor Visa as a rolling visa - that may be an issue as it might be hard to meet the GTE requirement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is a rolling 12 months in 18 months - so each day the number changes.

If you want a one month visa next time, the wait to application will be less.

To me it seems that you want to use the Visitor Visa as a rolling visa - that may be an issue as it might be hard to meet the GTE requirement.
Thank you for your reply!

As i have decided to leave with my mum, so I just want her to come with me. I don't mind she leaves again in a month then. Just need her to care my baby with me. I'm not sure what GTE means, so googled it and it seems like it applies to student visa?

I still would like to get an idea of when i can apply for a new visa again for my mum. I will apply for 143 visa offshore for her. I suppose I could apply for a longer visa for her? such as 12 months visa?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
T I'm not sure what GTE means, so googled it and it seems like it applies to student visa?
You are right, GTE applies to student visas. The correct term for tourist visas is the " Genuine Visitor" requirement, which is something quite different.

Before you decide to go overseas, consider how you are going to meet Assurance of Support requirements.

I say it once more: go and see a professional to discuss all these issues. It is quite complex.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.