Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Have an urgent issue that I can hopefully get some advice on..

Essentially, I was issued with a PR in 2012 and have been living in Australia for the last 4 years, working full time, kids in school and married to an Australian citizen. I had also applied for my Citizenship a last month which is being processed.

However, I was asked to attend a business event overseas from the 11th Apr - 20th Apr and was not aware of the requirement to apply for a RRV which had obviously expired. I did apply for a RRV before I left AUS on the 11th Apr and I am due return back to the 20th.

I need to return on the 20th due to childcare issues and wanted to understand what options I have available

1) Wait for the RRV to be processed - Can this be expedited ?
Given that this can take anywhere from 6-43 days to process, what options are available to escalate/expediting this request?
Is there any other option other than calling DIBP and requesting assistance? Can't seem to find any other way to contact them other than the phone number? Has anyone tried this or had any success with this method?

2) Apply for a ETA Visa (601)
Apply for an ETA Visa 601, as I believe that a 600 would cancel my PR. If I did apply for an ETA (601) what would be the consequences? Is an ETA likey to be issued? Has anyone recently done this and what where the outcomes?

Additionally would contacting a registered migration agent be able to assist or help in this situation?

Thanks for help & assistance

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Would contacting an rma help - yes they will give you the best possible advice.

You can call and you can email if you can find someone with the correct email address. Thy can expedite things in urgent or compassionate and compelling circumstances this is at their discression.

There was a long discussion about eta and rrv on here a while back I'm still not 100% sure I understand the outcome so reluctant to make comment.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I wonder if you would actually be turned away at the border if you hold PR, and live in Australia. Where would they send you?
PR isn't citizenship. The only guarantee to the right of entry at Australian ports is an Australian passport.

They can just as easily send a PR back to wherever they flew in from, or their home country (by passport not physical house).

·
Registered
129 Posts
PR isn't citizenship. The only guarantee to the right of entry at Australian ports is an Australian passport.

They can just as easily send a PR back to wherever they flew in from, or their home country (by passport not physical house).
You are wrong , in the scenario of the original poster , he already applied for citizenship after living in Australia for 4 years . He'll be fine I suppose..

As far as I know , Pr holder can stay overseas for about 5 year max .. they can always return to Australia without any problem..

For your kind info, pr is a permenant residency visa and not a tourist visa of backpacker who can be turned away from Australian airport..cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
You are wrong , in the scenario of the original poster , he already applied for citizenship after living in Australia for 4 years . He'll be fine I suppose..

As far as I know , Pr holder can stay overseas for about 5 year max .. they can always return to Australia without any problem..

For your kind info, pr is a permenant residency visa and not a tourist visa of backpacker who can be turned away from Australian airport..cheers
The PR visa comes with 5 years of travel rights, not permission to stay overseas for 5 years. If a PR holder exits Australia after the travel rights have expired, then they could possibly be turned away upon re-entry if they haven't obtained a RRV. The OP is correct to be concerned about their situation and hopefully they can get the RRV before they return.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts

You're the one who is wrong. PR holder cannot stay overseas for 5 years and return to Australia if their travel facility has expired before they leave or expires while they are overseas. Furthermore, they will be unable to obtain a 5 year RRV if they don't spend at least 2 years in Australia during the preceding 5 years.

A permanent resident visa allows the holder to remain in Australia indefinitely.The travel facility is only valid for 5 years and must be renewed by applying for a RRV,if you want to travel outside Australia.

If you are outside Australia as a permanent resident after your travel facility has expired, your permanent resident visa will actually cease to be in effect and it can lead to all sort of complications.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the airlines allow you to board, I would say don't apply for 601 which will replace your resident visa. If you can board in the plane, just come to the boarder control and talk it over more chance of letting you in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.