Australia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I need answers and guidance.
I am a US citizen and my boyfriend is an Australian permanent resident (we've been together for 13 years now).
We want to settle in Australia.

1) What is the best visa to get or the best process we should take?

2) Are the chances better if we get married before I officially move to Australia, and then file for a partner visa? (considering this so we only apply for 1 visa and expense is less)

Or

3) Is it better or more chances if we file for a fiance visa first?

4) If we file for fiance visa, during the processing time (26-30 months based on Au imm site), can I be outside Australia?

5) Can we apply for a fiance visa with everything going on right now (COVID)? And when the borders open, I would move there while waiting for approval, if that is possible

6) Is it worth it to get an agent/lawyer (money-wise), or can we process everything ourselves?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Hi everyone!

I need answers and guidance.
I am a US citizen and my boyfriend is an Australian permanent resident (we've been together for 13 years now).
We want to settle in Australia.

1) What is the best visa to get or the best process we should take?

2) Are the chances better if we get married before I officially move to Australia, and then file for a partner visa? (considering this so we only apply for 1 visa and expense is less)

Or

3) Is it better or more chances if we file for a fiance visa first?

4) If we file for fiance visa, during the processing time (26-30 months based on Au imm site), can I be outside Australia?

5) Can we apply for a fiance visa with everything going on right now (COVID)? And when the borders open, I would move there while waiting for approval, if that is possible

6) Is it worth it to get an agent/lawyer (money-wise), or can we process everything ourselves?

Thank you!
1-5) If you have been in a de facto relationship with your 'boyfriend' for 13 years, then you can apply for a 'partner' visa whether you are married or not.

6) based on your questions, I would suggest that at least an initial consultation would be a good idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1-5) If you have been in a de facto relationship with your 'boyfriend' for 13 years, then you can apply for a 'partner' visa whether you are married or not.

6) based on your questions, I would suggest that at least an initial consultation would be a good idea.
Unfortunately, we don't have very much proofs for it; no joint accounts, no bills under both names, etc. All we have are pictures from 2007 up to date and conversations lol. But we will consider that! Thank you so much!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.