Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So I know this has been asked to death, but I haven't found recent results that answer the question so I'll keep it brief:

US Citizen on the 90 Day Electronic Travel Authority.

Married an Australian citizen ~ 7 weeks into visit. Not at all planned - we have been engaged for 2 years, in LDR for 3, had planned for me to move to USA in late 2018 on the visa that we applied for over there (currently have the first notice of action on that, but will be abandoning that).

Circumstances changed while he was here, resulting in the marriage and now plans for him to stay.

It seems that we can apply for him to get an 820, that seems to come with a bridging visa - is that the case?

If so - will that bridging visa give him work rights?

We really intended for this to go the complete opposite with me moving to the US but since that's not happening, we'd really love for him to be able to work right away since my job is good, but it's not "support 2 people, 2 cats a rental & a car payment in Melbourne" kind of good - we'd be in severe trouble very quickly if we tried that for more than a few months.

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes, it will. The bridging Visa will kick in after the 90 days of his visit are over. But recommend to carefully consider the evidence requirements for the 820 and whether you are likely to meet them before submitting. A consultation with an RMA might be money well spent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it will. The bridging Visa will kick in after the 90 days of his visit are over. But recommend to carefully consider the evidence requirements for the 820 and whether you are likely to meet them before submitting. A consultation with an RMA might be money well spent.
Thank you.

We have an appointment with an immigration lawyer but couldn't get in until next week due to the holidays and my work schedule, so want to make sure we understand as much as possible about it first.

Thankfully, we have a lot of evidence of our past & current relationship from the US visa we had already applied for, and in the coming days I need to start adding him to my car insurance and as the beneficiary on my Super and things like that, so unless anything major happens I've got my fingers crossed that the evidence shouldn't be a problem given how long we've known each other and the number of times I've visited him there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thank you.

We have an appointment with an immigration lawyer but couldn't get in until next week due to the holidays and my work schedule, so want to make sure we understand as much as possible about it first.
Make sure your lawyer is a Registered Migration Agent. Some RMAs are also lawyers, but it is not a requirement. On the other hand, lawyers can only assist with most migration visa advise if they are also RMAs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.