Australia Forum banner

USA Girlfriend Australian Visa Options

1017 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Simply

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post.

Currently in a relationship with a girl from the US.

Just thought I would provide a brief overview of us before asking the question.

About Her:
- 27 years of age
- US citizen.
- In Australia on a working holiday Visa.
- Holds a bachelors degree and has 3 years HR experience working in the Pharmaceutical industry.
- Will have to leave the country mid-October if we decide against her doing farm work (I'm sort of the one opposed to this).

About Me:
- 25 years of age.
- Australian Born.
- Fulltime professional job that I do not want to leave.

About us:
- Relationship of 3 months.
- Currently living together.

Basically what my question is, what are our options to allow her to stay in the country? I really would love for her to gain sponsorship in a good company, however I imagine most companies would be reluctant to hire a foreigner without a permanent visa.

Any sort of help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
See less See more
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 9 Posts
Americans aren't eligible for a WHV (417), only a W&HV (462) and yes there is an option to extend for a second year but the requirements for a 462 are different from a 417.

"If you have worked in northern Australia in tourism and hospitality or agriculture, forestry and fishing you can apply for a second Work and Holiday visa."

The specific requirements can be found on immigration's website. Don't get information from other working holiday visa holders as the work and holiday is not the same visa.
  • Like
Reactions: 1
There is an option for a second year 462 as stated above. It may not have been the case several years ago but that is the case now.
1 - 2 of 9 Posts
Not open for further replies.