Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm busy doing a planning schedule for my move to Oz (probably Perth) and need to know whether when renting from a landlord whether electricity, gas & water is charged to me directly by the landlord or if I will have to register directly with the related utility provider?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
It varies a little from state to state and generally speaking all services will still stay connected though there could be various isolation measures.

A tenant will normally need to apply to and pay a bond with utilities such as electricity, phone and gas [ previous tenant with gas possibly having a meter reading taken], and likewise for water though that can vary.

As a new tenant you should with all utilities contact the service supplier for though a landlord/agent should be on top of the situation, it could be that a slip up has occurred and a former tenant may have scooted without accounts being finalised and you do not want to end up with their bill.

·
Registered
228 Posts
When i was in melbourne, we had to pay for water every four months or so (wasn't expensive at all...maybe 40$?) and that got set up for us the minute we moved in as we had to use our area's water company.

We picked our own electricity company--lots of tennants will actually shut off or "move" they're electricity account with them, in my experience.

Gas get's automatically whacked onto electricity if you have it...i think.

Like wanderer said it can vary, but you will probably have to set up some things on your own... I have actually never seen a "utilities included" rental property in melbourne. Could be wrong though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.