Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I met my Vietnamese girlfriend when I was on holiday in Vietnam in September 2014, and I have subsequently gone back twice (once in March and again in September this year). I would like her to come to visit me here in March/April next year for a few weeks, and then she will eventually move here with me probably later in 2016 or in 2017.

I'm just trying to work out what I need to get her to do from her end for the first trip next year. She doesn't work in a well-paying job (just a restaurant), and as such she doesn't have a bank account or significant savings.

Will this be an issue when it comes to applying for a tourist (or whatever it's called now) visa? I think I will probably need to act as a sponsor for her trip, is that right? What do I need to make sure we have both done to ensure that there aren't any problems getting a Visa?

Thanks for any information :)

·
Super Moderator
2,109 Posts
Hi guys,
I met my Vietnamese girlfriend when I was on holiday in Vietnam in September 2014, and I have subsequently gone back twice (once in March and again in September this year). I would like her to come to visit me here in March/April next year for a few weeks, and then she will eventually move here with me probably later in 2016 or in 2017.

I'm just trying to work out what I need to get her to do from her end for the first trip next year. She doesn't work in a well-paying job (just a restaurant), and as such she doesn't have a bank account or significant savings.

Will this be an issue when it comes to applying for a tourist (or whatever it's called now) visa? I think I will probably need to act as a sponsor for her trip, is that right? What do I need to make sure we have both done to ensure that there aren't any problems getting a Visa?

Thanks for any information :)
There are always problems for single females from high risk countries getting a tourist visa. You major hurdle will be convincing DIBP that the trip is genuine, and that she will return home at the end of her visit.
Normally you would provide evidence of substantial employment, a letter from their employer stating they had a job to return to, evidence of other overseas travel, copies of titles to any property they may own and bank statements. As she is not a relative you can't sponsor her but you can write a letter of invitation stating you will cover all costs. After saying that some people have got lucky with a lot less. It is relatively cheap to apply so give it a go.
As far as a permanent visa goes from what you have said your only hope would be for a Prospective Marriage Visa.

·
Registered
244 Posts
As one of the conditions is having enough savings to support a tourist trip. I was told 5000 USD and a returning ticket proof. Also the address and name of who I was staying with.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you are at that stage in your relationship have you considered applying for the PMV?
Seeing that visa from vietnam is taking 8-14 months at the moment you could apply beforehand then apply for tourist visa, as you need to be offshore when approved that will show a good reason for her to return to Vietnam.

If you arent ready for that step yet then i would apply soon for the toruist visa and write your letter of support that you will pay for everything whilst she is here etc etc.

We applied for the PMV in March from Ho Chi MInh, its coming up on 8 months now for us without any contact from immigration.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
As one of the conditions is having enough savings to support a tourist trip. I was told 5000 USD and a returning ticket proof. Also the address and name of who I was staying with.
I've helped with three visitor visas for 2 friends over the last few years, and neither had a bank account or any savings. They got the visa.

Reactions: AVC29

·
Registered
6,215 Posts

Will this be an issue when it comes to applying for a tourist (or whatever it's called now) visa?
You need to do an invitation letter stating that you will cover ALL of her costs, accommodation and living costs etc. You also need to explain the reason for the trip.

She needs to get a letter from her employer stating her allowed holiday period, and this will need a certified translation, if not in English.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/600-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the assistance! I realise in the future we will have to go through the partner visa, but for now all she needs is a tourist visa :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She's quite traditional - she wants to come here for a holiday first, then I would like to take my family to meet hers before she moves here, which makes sense and is something I would like to do anyway. We'll give it a shot!

·
Super Moderator
2,109 Posts
She's quite traditional - she wants to come here for a holiday first, then I would like to take my family to meet hers before she moves here, which makes sense and is something I would like to do anyway. We'll give it a shot!
Why not? It's only $130 and if you don't try you will never know. Just make sure she understands it could be a long shot and not be too disappointed if the visa is not granted.
Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.