Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys!

My fiance and I are applying for a PMV and I still have some questions about the documents I need to attach as applicant. The instruction on the boarder website is:

All non-English documents must be translated into English. Contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters for a translator.
Translators outside Australia do not need to be accredited, but they must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.

Does that mean it's ok for me to translate if, for example?
If not, I have a friend who is an English teacher, would that be qualification enough, or should I really need an accredited translator?

Thank you!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi guys!

My fiancee and I are applying for a PMV and I still have some questions about the documents I need to attach as applicant. The instruction on the boarder website is:

All non-English documents must be translated into English. Contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters for a translator.
Translators outside Australia do not need to be accredited, but they must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.

Does that mean it's ok for me to translate if, for example?
If not, I have a friend who is an English teacher, would that be qualification enough, or should I really need an accredited translator?

Thank you!
I don't have any personal experience of having to do this, but I would imagine you'd be safer getting a third party to translate documents, since you'd hardly be deemed to be impartial by DIBP. I imagine an English teacher would be sufficient qualification, but again, I have no practical experience so take my advice with a grain of salt. Maybe someone who has more experience doing this will jump in and comment.

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
If you contact the embassy they will have a list of translators they recommend.

All they mean is that the translator does not need to be NAATI like they do in Australia but you still need the stamp saying it has been officially translated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you contact the embassy they will have a list of translators they recommend.

All they mean is that the translator does not need to be NAATI like they do in Australia but you still need the stamp saying it has been officially translated.
ooh I got it wrong then. Thanks for clarifying!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.