Australia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wanting some rough advice on what the best way to do this would be…
My boyfriend lives in the US and would like to come here and get married but only stay for 2-4 years maximum.
Then we will move and live in the US.
My reasons I can’t move there now are my oldest child who is 14 father who has no contact needs to sign his passport.
If he won’t sign then we need to stay here 4 years to win is 18. There is a chance he could sign if I tell him he can stop all child support and sign something through a lawyer.
But I also need to save to make the move and pay off my bills owing which may take up to 2 years here in Australia.
which would be the best way to get the boyfriend here for as long as possible? Hopefully for the 2 years?!
Partner will rent his house out while in Aus and that will be his income.
should we marry here ASAP then apply for visa to live in US? As I’ve read it could take 2 years? So is there a way he could stay here in AU for 2 years then we apply straight away for US and by the time here is up we are hopefully accepted to move to US?
Any advice is appreciated thanks

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
If it was me, and a skilled visa was not possible, .. come to Australia on a visitor visa, and apply for Partner visa (but around $8,000), that will take some time, but it will allow working in Australia. It also covers a possible future option if deciding to stay. Many people change their minds over time.

During that period, apply for the US visa.

Reactions: Sapphiremoon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A visitor visa is a year- could he return home to US just before the year is up then get another years visitor visa?
then hopefully the US visa will be approved for us to move there?

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Have you taken advice about the procedure for applying for a passport in the absence of consent of the non custodial parent?
It might pay you to take advice from a registered migration agent about the regulations applying to Australian visas.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also, if you and your boyfriend don't meet the definition of de facto/immediate family he might have to wait in the US until Australia opens the border for visitors (could be some time next year).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi just wanting some rough advice on what the best way to do this would be…
My boyfriend lives in the US and would like to come here and get married but only stay for 2-4 years maximum.
Then we will move and live in the US.
My reasons I can’t move there now are my oldest child who is 14 father who has no contact needs to sign his passport.
If he won’t sign then we need to stay here 4 years to win is 18. There is a chance he could sign if I tell him he can stop all child support and sign something through a lawyer.
But I also need to save to make the move and pay off my bills owing which may take up to 2 years here in Australia.
which would be the best way to get the boyfriend here for as long as possible? Hopefully for the 2 years?!
Partner will rent his house out while in Aus and that will be his income.
should we marry here ASAP then apply for visa to live in US? As I’ve read it could take 2 years? So is there a way he could stay here in AU for 2 years then we apply straight away for US and by the time here is up we are hopefully accepted to move to US?
Any advice is appreciated thanks
Hello Sapphiremoon, there are several pathways that you could take. You should have a Registered Migration Agent assess your situation. Feel free to call me on 0412 942 728 if you like. Peter Rozsy Registered Migration Agent #9901480

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
A visitor visa is a year- could he return home to US just before the year is up then get another years visitor visa?
then hopefully the US visa will be approved for us to move there?
I have seen that some people are getting 3 year visitor visas at the moment.

Might be worth checking with one of the regular migration agents on here.

Westly Russell (RMA 0316072) has already mentioned one point that you can address with him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts