Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from the USA and planning on marrying an Aussie in the states, then travelling for a bit before we settle in Australia and apply for the 820 partner visa. I've read you can get the bridge visa after you apply for the 820, but your initial visa needs to be one that doesn't require you to leave at the end of your stay. Does anyone know which visas will bridge into the 820 onshore partner visa?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
I am from the USA and planning on marrying an Aussie in the states, then travelling for a bit before we settle in Australia and apply for the 820 partner visa. I've read you can get the bridge visa after you apply for the 820, but your initial visa needs to be one that doesn't require you to leave at the end of your stay. Does anyone know which visas will bridge into the 820 onshore partner visa?

Thank you!
You will receive a Bridging Visa A after you apply for the 820. It's not true that your visa needs to be one that doesn't make you leave Australia - they all do except PR visas. As a US citizen you'd qualify for an ETA - that'd be the easiest.

Reactions: darkknight2k3

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts

Thank you!
If your initial visa would not require you to leave, the bridging visa would never come into effect. The whole point of a bridging visa is to allow you to stay in Australia when your current visa expires and your next visa has not been decided yet.

Reactions: CollegeGirl

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Perhaps you're referring to a No Further Stay condition? An ETA wouldn't have a NFS on it so you could apply for the 820 while in Australia on an ETA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps you're referring to a No Further Stay condition? An ETA wouldn't have a NFS on it so you could apply for the 820 while in Australia on an ETA.
Thank you yes that's what I was referring to. That's what I was wondering. I already have an ETA from when I visited last month and in the email I received it didn't mention anything and when checking the ETA status online it says "NO WORK - BUSINESS VISITOR ACTIVITY ONLY" but nothing about no further stay. Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long have you been in a relationship?
Engaged since November. In a relationship since a year before that. She's still in Melbourne I'm in NY, USA. Anything I should know about length of relationship? The idea is get married in May in Australia, travel a bit, then settle in Australia and apply for 820 before my ETA expires. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Getting married does not get anyone a visa, it is totally dependant on evidence in 4/5 categories.

Getting married if evidence is light, can remove an option to a more relevant visa in cases.

Just make sure you under stand the visa process a bit before you spend the non refundable $7,000 and of possible changes to sponsorship laws this year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting married does not get anyone a visa, it is totally dependant on evidence in 4/5 categories.

Getting married if evidence is light, can remove an option to a more relevant visa in cases.

Just make sure you under stand the visa process a bit before you spend the non refundable $7,000 and of possible changes to sponsorship laws this year.
Sounds good thanks again! We already submitted for the K1 USA fiancee visa but with delays out to 12 months recently and other factors we've decided to go the opposite direction and head to Oz. So at least we've got a 40 page packet with relationship evidence and forms with details that will help the Aussie visa process go a bit quicker if at all. I was looking for an Aussie equivalent of visajourney dot com and this seems to be it. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.