Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My mum got her visa granted 20 December 2012, she validated in April 2013, then moved permanently to Australia in April 2014.

She boarded a plane to Canada to visit my brother and was told her visa expired 30 minutes from boarding. She didnt really get what she was being told and thought she could sort it out from Canada, she didnt have any charge on her phone otherwise I would have told her not to get on the plane! I believe her visa has now been cancelled (no resident return visa). I tried to check her grant number with VEVO (as we were never given any valid information) and they said no current visa...We dont have any cancellation notice from Immi, anyone know anything about the appeals process, and how you lodge appeals? She would have only been out of date for a few months....she is 69, I am a citizen of 13 years in Aus, and my brother is in Canada with his wife and children. No one is at home in England and all of her belongings are in Australia. This is turning out to be a complete nightmare.

:( She was 9 mths into a citizenship application that it looks like we will lose as well now..so close :(

Any advice of

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
By the sound of it, her travel facility has expired. Because she is outside Australia, her visa is no longer in effect ( and will not show up in VEVO) , but it has not been cancelled. If she meets the residency requirements, a RRV should not be too much of a problem.

Reactions: KDPAN

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the sound of it, her travel facility has expired. Because she is outside Australia, her visa is no longer in effect ( and will not show up in VEVO) , but it has not been cancelled. If she meets the residency requirements, a RRV should not be too much of a problem.
I hope that is true, I have been reading they can cancel without notice if you leave once the travel facility has expired. That is what I am most scared of! I put in a RRV two days after she left.....I didnt realise you could do it without a grant number. Good when you werent given any numbers and no stamp in your passport, and then you cant get the numbers either!

This was the VEVO message -

Dear Client

The Department of Home Affairs has received your enquiry via the VEVO Request for Reference Number Enquiry Form.

Please note that our records show you do not have a current Australian visa.

If your request relates to needing the reference number for the visa you previously held. Please refer to Form 424A Request for access to documents or information, the first two pages on this form details how to complete and submit this form.

The information given in this response is based on records stored on the department's computer systems. While the department endeavours to ensure the accuracy of all of its computer records, for various reasons, some records may not be entirely accurate in every case. The department does attempt to verify those records but cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information given to you in providing this service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CCMS is a Registered Migration Agent, it would be wise to contact him or another RMA to check the residency status of your mother. To see what needs to be done.
Hi,

Yes, I was aware from the post that he was a migration agent. It is stated on the post. :) and I'm also aware no one will really know the status until I ring immigration on Monday. But ahead of immi being open and feeling anxious, it is good to get the first post above, just to consider there could be other alternatives, and maybe I can stop looking at it like the disaster master I'm feeling, because I'm only half way through my roster, and I really could of done without this :) if it's not one thing it's your mother!

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
I hope that is true, I have been reading they can cancel without notice if you leave once the travel facility has expired. That is what I am most scared of!.
The Department doesn't randomly cancel permanent residence visas. On what basis would her visa have been cancelled? I have seen many similar situations, where it was no problem to obtain a RRV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not suggesting they "randomly" cancel them. But it is breaking condition of the visa requirements to obtain an RRV before you leave, and she was warned by the border security. The fact that we could not get anything from VEVO was a concern. She left after being told her visa had expired and she had no RRV. It wasn't as if it expired while she was away.

·
Registered
710 Posts
there is no visa condition to have a RRV before leaving the country so no breach of conditions.
my wife's cousin left the country last month with no travel rights, applied for the RRV which was granted in 2 days before they uploaded anything including passports.
just put the application in.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
Not suggesting they "randomly" cancel them. But it is breaking condition of the visa requirements to obtain an RRV before you leave, and she was warned by the border security. The fact that we could not get anything from VEVO was a concern. She left after being told her visa had expired and she had no RRV. It wasn't as if it expired while she was away.
There is no such visa condition. She left while still on a valid, substantive vsa. The visa does not expire, only the travel facility does . She should be eligible for a RRV and there is no reason why her parent visa should have been cancelled. Obviously it would have been way better if this had been taken care of prior to departure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that is a relief. I think the response at the departure gate didn't help...although my mother could have recanted the story wrong :)

She is living with me at the moment, so I must admit I wouldn't mind if they had to take a bit longer assessing :) nice to have some breaks haha

Thanks very much for your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.