Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a tad confused as to the "must be in Australia by this date" when the Partner Visa (309) is approved.

I think i read that it was locked in to the date of the medical - but now i can't find where I read that! And I don't know if the medical is valid for 6 or 12 months.

My husband had his medical on July 13th, we posted the application on July 16th to Washington......if the application went through in say 4 months and the medical was valid for 6 months, then would our entry date be 2 months later by January 13th?

someone told me that they only had 3 weeks to be in Australia when they got their visa- I'm just freaking a bit.......any advice welcome!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I am a tad confused as to the "must be in Australia by this date" when the Partner Visa (309) is approved.

I think i read that it was locked in to the date of the medical - but now i can't find where I read that! And I don't know if the medical is valid for 6 or 12 months.

My husband had his medical on July 13th, we posted the application on July 16th to Washington......if the application went through in say 4 months and the medical was valid for 6 months, then would our entry date be 2 months later by January 13th?

someone told me that they only had 3 weeks to be in Australia when they got their visa- I'm just freaking a bit.......any advice welcome!
Medicals are usually considered by Immi to be valid for 12 months and I've never heard of a reason why they would apply a shorter time though in certain circumstances it can be extended.
But yes, latest enter by dates are usually based on expiry of medical or character checks [ also 12 months ].
It is a common trait that people do tend to want to do a medical examination and get the character check up front, front loading as it is called [ and there may even be some embassy people who say to do that ] but it can lead to less time available between grant of a visa and when the latest enter by date is.
You'll find on Health Requirements for Visa Applicants
Applicants outside Australia
Do not attend a health examination before you lodge your visa application unless the information about your visa specifically asks you to do so. Otherwise, you will be advised by the department if and when to attend a health examination.
If your husband has not yet had his character checks done, I'd suggest he get his FBI sneakers on for they have been taking anywhere from six weeks being the quickest but more generally it seems about three months or more.
Somebody who only had thre weeks may in fact have done an early medical and then found after being contacted a couple months later by a CO that the FBI check was a long time coming [ a recent poster was still waiting after some five months! ] and there's the state/city/county etc.checks too.
And then still some processing time to come, so yep, time can be gobbled up!
Then there is

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh Wanderer - once again you are right! The Embassy person told me to get the medical, FBI and Police checks done up front, they said it would expedite the process....so that's what we did.
The FBI and State Police Checks were sent off on 06/29/10, the State Police check results came back within 10 days, so they were included in the application........fingers crossed that the FBI clearance doesn't take 5 months!!!!!!
I can't thank you enough for your advise and help on these matters, and I hope someone else reading this who is also applying offshore, now thinks twice before getting their medical early........

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.