Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I hold an Australian PR which expires early next year. My husband's PR expired last September.

We had made plans to relocate to Sydney in 2010 but our plan was put on hold due to my pregnancy. My baby was born in Oct 2010. Now that he is 1 and we have more or less gotten the knack of caring for a baby, we feel it's now the right time to move to Australia (especially since my visa will expire soon!)

I would like to seek your advice on how best to go about applying for a visa for my baby and renewing my hubby's visa. Should I:
1) apply for the visa for my baby as a dependent, and my husband as partner, then go about with the extension of my PR later
2) extend my PR then go about with applying for baby and hubby
3) can I do them all at once??

Finally, will it make a difference whether my baby has his own passport / share my passport?

Thanks in advance for all your kind responses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi

It depends on how long you have been outside Australia for. If you have been outside Australia for more than 5 years, you will have to demonstrate your cultural, personal, business or employment tie with Australia, and you have a compelling reason for your absence from Australia, or you lose your PR.

If you have been outside Australia for less than 5 years, you will be eligible for resident return visa.

It would be better if your baby is included in your passport, it costs less money.

your husband needs to lodge a separate application for the same visa.

For Detailed advice, you should consult a migration agent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi jjook

Thanks for your advice. I guess my dilemma is my PR is expiring end Jan 2012 and I'm only now applying for my baby's PR. What are the chances that baby's PR is approved before mine is extended?

We are actually going to oz in dec for 3 weeks and I'm thinking about staying on to apply for the RRV onshore and then apply for my baby's PR in oz. Im doing this on the basis that the visa allows it's holder to travel in and out of aus within a 5 year period. So if I'm already in aus before the 5 year is up, I'm technically still a PR regardless of the expiry of the visa. Is my understanding correct?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi all

I hold an Australian PR which expires early next year. My husband's PR expired last September.

We had made plans to relocate to Sydney in 2010 but our plan was put on hold due to my pregnancy. My baby was born in Oct 2010. Now that he is 1 and we have more or less gotten the knack of caring for a baby, we feel it's now the right time to move to Australia (especially since my visa will expire soon!)

I would like to seek your advice on how best to go about applying for a visa for my baby and renewing my hubby's visa. Should I:
1) apply for the visa for my baby as a dependent, and my husband as partner, then go about with the extension of my PR later
2) extend my PR then go about with applying for baby and hubby
3) can I do them all at once??

Finally, will it make a difference whether my baby has his own passport / share my passport?

Thanks in advance for all your kind responses.
Hi Hsin

How long were you actually in Australia in the past five years?? You mentioned your PR will expire in January. Did you spend at least 2 years of those last five years in Australia?

If not, you will not be able to get Resident Return Visa, unless you can prove "substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties with Australia which are of benefit to Australia".

In that case, you'd need to return to Australia before your PR expired (before that certain date in your visa); you can apply for Resident Return visa after living 2 years in Australia (in the past 5 years).

Kind greetings,
bma

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.