Australia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys really need some advice from those that know and understand the process

I’m 40 years old have fallen in love with a Thai woman 36 years old spent 2 weeks together in Thailand have just got back home yesterday

we have decided to marry in Thailand 21st February and get our marriage registered

I know thousands of people always say the cliche of we are in love etc but to be honest I really do feel like I have met my soul mate I’m 40 have never felt this way in my life we connected straight away

questions I need help with is what’s the best way to get my soon to be wife to Australia permanently I know it would be stupid to apply after getting married in feb I want to do this correctly I’m thinking we wait a period of 12mths then apply for visa

1 what visa do I apply for remembering we are married in Thailand and registered the marriage

2 is proof of relationship and me visiting every 3mths to Thailand over a period of 1 year a good amount of time to wait before applying for her visa I want to do things right and show this is genuine

3 should I use a visa agent is it recommended or is it easy enough to do ourselves do I use a agent in Thailand or Australia
I live Australia wife lives Thailand

4 apart from the visa fees and possible agent fees what amount of money should I have in bank to get visa approved I have a good long term full time employment

thanks guys my heads so full of questions just need to be guided in right direction. And want to do this the right way 1st time appreciate everyone’s help

thank you

· Registered
42 Posts
why would you wait 12 months to apply?
as long as the relation is true and genuine you can apply right after the marriage has been registered if it is ( 309 )
or you can apply 300 now to bring your lady, after she come to AU do the register in AU,

· Registered
897 Posts
Hi guys really need some advice from those that know and understand the process

I’m 40 years old have fallen in love with a Thai woman 36 years old spent 2 weeks together in Thailand have just got back home yesterday

we have decided to marry in Thailand 21st February and get our marriage registered

I know thousands of people always say the cliche of we are in love etc but to be honest I really do feel like I have met my soul mate I’m 40 have never felt this way in my life we connected straight away

questions I need help with is what’s the best way to get my soon to be wife to Australia permanently I know it would be stupid to apply after getting married in feb I want to do this correctly I’m thinking we wait a period of 12mths then apply for visa

1 what visa do I apply for remembering we are married in Thailand and registered the marriage

2 is proof of relationship and me visiting every 3mths to Thailand over a period of 1 year a good amount of time to wait before applying for her visa I want to do things right and show this is genuine

3 should I use a visa agent is it recommended or is it easy enough to do ourselves do I use a agent in Thailand or Australia
I live Australia wife lives Thailand

4 apart from the visa fees and possible agent fees what amount of money should I have in bank to get visa approved I have a good long term full time employment

thanks guys my heads so full of questions just need to be guided in right direction. And want to do this the right way 1st time appreciate everyone’s help

thank you
Speaking as sometime who has a Thai wife and brought her over. Don't just get married thinking it makes the visa process easier it doesn't. There is little real value but will possibly close off a more appropriate option.
I spent 6 months researching visas and 3 months doing the paperwork and getting the evidence before lodging. If you use a agent use one from here. Westly is recommended.
Thais don't do their own research so you may hear a lot of, uncle say, aunt say, someone say and it can be very very wrong. I've had their travel agents give wrong info when everyone was saying they knew what they were doing.
At the very least bring her here for at least 3 months on a tourist visa, culture shock for both can and is a real thing.
I don't know where abouts you are from and what the Thai community is like if she will have people she can talk to ect. The Thai community here at least is pretty insular, they have regular "bbq's" where it's the Thais talking amongst each other and the Aussies to so the same, be prepared to be 20 years younger.
Might seem I'm being negative I'm not. I met my wife and wasn't looking for anything (they tried to set me up with sometime but wasn't interested). Even after 9 odd years culture stuff can still be a challenge. She first came here for 3 months, I went there for 1 month then her here for 6 months. Trying to do things quick can present more complications.

· Registered
42 Posts
Speaking as sometime who has a Thai wife and brought her over. Don't just get married thinking it makes the visa process easier it doesn't. There is little real value but will possibly close off a more appropriate option.
I spent 6 months researching visas and 3 months doing the paperwork and getting the evidence before lodging. If you use a agent use one from here. Westly is recommended.
Thais don't do their own research so you may hear a lot of, uncle say, aunt say, someone say and it can be very very wrong. I've had their travel agents give wrong info when everyone was saying they knew what they were doing.
At the very least bring her here for at least 3 months on a tourist visa, culture shock for both can and is a real thing.
I don't know where abouts you are from and what the Thai community is like if she will have people she can talk to ect. The Thai community here at least is pretty insular, they have regular "bbq's" where it's the Thais talking amongst each other and the Aussies to so the same, be prepared to be 20 years younger.
Might seem I'm being negative I'm not. I met my wife and wasn't looking for anything (they tried to set me up with sometime but wasn't interested). Even after 9 odd years culture stuff can still be a challenge. She first came here for 3 months, I went there for 1 month then her here for 6 months. Trying to do things quick can present more complications.
if everyone use a agent then tell me why this site exist ?
agent is not for free, not cheap at all, cost you 2k-7k,
real and useful info all came from " uncle say, aunt say", not from those agent,
i found here those agent making people's case more complicated,there is no rocket science here, everything is sharp clear on home affair's web

· Registered
897 Posts
real and useful info all came from " uncle say, aunt say", not from those agent,
i found here those agent making people's case more complicated,there is no rocket science here, everything is sharp clear on home affair's web
I'm not sure what you read but a careful read of my post might be required. I said IF they use a agent use one over here, answering his specific question.
Also I was dealing with very specific cultural things that will come up, some family weren't happy i wasn't following incorrect advice, i knew it was incorrect from my research.
They certainly aren't the price you put, if they were quotes you recieved then you were right not to go with them but they seem more like the price of a lawyer and not a agent.
I agree it can be done by individuals if they are comfortable with paperwork and research. Some people aren't.

why would you wait 12 months to apply?
as long as the relation is true and genuine you can apply right after the marriage has been registered if it is ( 309 )
or you can apply 300 now to bring your lady, after she come to AU do the register in AU,
After a 2 week meeting and a couple of months distance the required evidence would be light and make things harder, keeping in mind the supporting evidence is from time of application and they don't have to accept evidence from after.
Once the 300 is granted then required to get married. Registering the relationship isn't enough.

· Registered
7,391 Posts
It is obviously not that clear, and definitely not "sharp clear" on the Home affairs website. For example when discussing the sponsor application:
I didn’t know that was mandatory to fill the application because in primary application doesn’t say
Not everyone can read instructions correctly, some get things wrong. And they are the ones who might need a good registered migration agents help.

Some people's "uncle say, aunt say" is total rubbish. My wife's sister has been told by relatives that she can work in Australia on a visitor visa, because many do. She became so certain, that she told us that we were wrong. I told her that if she comes to visit, and tries to work, I will put her on the first plane back to her home.

Reactions: Bella2019

· Registered
26 Posts
I would encourage you to spend more time together before you contemplate marriage. 2 weeks is a holiday. I would encourage you to apply for a tourist visa and live together for 3 months first. see your compatibility. The tourist visa would also strengthen your application when you do apply.

· Registered
42 Posts
Then why are so many applications refused and people lose $7-8k they spent on the application?
[/QUOTE
if your application got refused nothing to do with rather using agent or not,
if relation is genuine you will get approved some stage,
if your relation is not genuine it doesn't matter who u appointing to lodge ur application,
case officer is not robot, they are real person, they know what they doing

· Registered
7,391 Posts
if your application got refused nothing to do with rather using agent or not,
if relation is genuine you will get approved some stage,
if your relation is not genuine it doesn't matter who u appointing to lodge ur application,
case officer is not robot, they are real person, they know what they doing
A migration agent would not normally submit an incomplete application that would have a high chance of being refused.

A case officer would normally prioritise complete and accurate applications before substandard applications.

Some genuine relationships do get refused, due to poor applications.

I can imagine that many are delayed, due to poor applications.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts