Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to this site and hoping for some feedback!

I am a US citizen, currently living with my American boyfriend of 5 years. Boyfriend just was accepted into a 3 year program at University of Queensland and I am going along for the ride!

We move March 3, and the program begins April 1. I have never been to Australia before and will need to work. The embassy advised that I apply for the Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 462) to last me a year before I apply for the De Facto visa so I can piggy-back off my boyfriend's student visa. He already claimed me as a dependent but not a de-facto since i already received my own visa.

Does this all sound correct? I already applied for the Working Holiday and was approved (should have found this site sooner!) but just wanted to check with you all before I started to panic.

If this is the right route, when do you suggest I apply for the De Facto? September 2014 will be one year we have been living together (both our names are on the lease) so I was planning on applying then.

Appreciate the input!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hi everyone, new to this site and hoping for some feedback!

I am a US citizen, currently living with my American boyfriend of 5 years. Boyfriend just was accepted into a 3 year program at University of Queensland and I am going along for the ride!

We move March 3, and the program begins April 1. I have never been to Australia before and will need to work. The embassy advised that I apply for the Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 462) to last me a year before I apply for the De Facto visa so I can piggy-back off my boyfriend's student visa. He already claimed me as a dependent but not a de-facto since i already received my own visa.

Does this all sound correct? I already applied for the Working Holiday and was approved (should have found this site sooner!) but just wanted to check with you all before I started to panic.

If this is the right route, when do you suggest I apply for the De Facto? September 2014 will be one year we have been living together (both our names are on the lease) so I was planning on applying then.

Appreciate the input!
Your bf won't be able to sponsor you a de facto partner visa since he is not a permanent resident of Aus. However, I think you can be added to his student visa as a dependent family member. See:

Bringing Family

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! This applies directly to our situation. Couldn't find this link when I tried looking, makes sense since I was searching "de facto." Appreciate the help :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.