Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can offer some advice or guidance.

I arrived in Australia in November on a 417 WHV and turned 31 a few weeks after arriving. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay for a 2nd year but now that I have been here I would really like to stay for a 2nd year and potentially longer.

My understanding is that due to me now being 31 years old I'm no longer eligible to apply for the 2nd year WHV (after completing farm/rural agriculture work) and so I think my only option to stay is to find a company who would be willing to sponsor me in my field.

I was lucky in finding work in my field (digital media/marketing) within a week or so of arriving but after conversations with my employer they wouldnt be able to offer me sponsorship. I've been in contact with various recruiters and all seem to be saying that there are plenty of jobs in my industry/field and I should have no problem performing in then due to my skills and experience, however companies are a lot less willing to sponsor at the moment due to the changes in the visas that recently happened and the soon to be abolishment of the 457.

I'm just wondering if there are any other routes I could look at to staying in Australia past my 1 year visa. I have read conflicting info about my eligibility for a 2nd year WHV due my age also. I've read a couple of reports saying that because I applied for my 1st year before the time limit, I might still be considered for a second year, but information on the Immi website appears contrary to this.

Apologies if the above is a bit waffley or hard to follow, hoping someone can offer me some advice or guidance on possible options routes to explore!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.