Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

My name is Saskia and I'm new to this forum. I'm a 25 year old children's nurse from Germany and am currently waiting for my registration with the AHPRA to be processed. It has been several months now and although I knew it was going to take quite a long time and the outcome is still uncertain I decided to move to Australia anyway and wait for AHPRA's decision here. I'm currently on an eVisitor visa which means I cannot work at the moment. That's not much of a problem as I am staying with friends and don't have to pay for rent and food. However I'm getting increasingly concerned about my future; I know I have to leave the country every three months in order to stay on my eVisitor visa but I'm starting to wonder if I'm going about the whole thing the wrong way.
Just when I thought I knew everything about visas and rules and whatnot a new riddle arises which is so so frustrating.
So I've got a couple of questions that I hope some of you can help me with or even find people that are in similar predicaments.

Is there a way to work as an assistant in nursing while waiting for my nursing registration (I have a German nursing certificate and a bachelor's degree in Applied Health Care Science in Nursing) or would I have to be registered as an enrolled nurse?

Is there a different visa option that would allow me to do casual work while waiting for my skills to be assessed by AHPRA? In the long run I want to go for a Skilled Independent Visa.

Can I get an extension on my eVisitor without leaving the country or is it absolutely necessary to leave Australia every three months?

Sorry I know this was a lot to read through, so if you've taken the time to do so then thanks! Any kind of advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Saskia

·
Super Moderator
2,107 Posts
Hey everyone,

My name is Saskia and I'm new to this forum. I'm a 25 year old children's nurse from Germany and am currently waiting for my registration with the AHPRA to be processed. It has been several months now and although I knew it was going to take quite a long time and the outcome is still uncertain I decided to move to Australia anyway and wait for AHPRA's decision here. I'm currently on an eVisitor visa which means I cannot work at the moment. That's not much of a problem as I am staying with friends and don't have to pay for rent and food. However I'm getting increasingly concerned about my future; I know I have to leave the country every three months in order to stay on my eVisitor visa but I'm starting to wonder if I'm going about the whole thing the wrong way.
Just when I thought I knew everything about visas and rules and whatnot a new riddle arises which is so so frustrating.
So I've got a couple of questions that I hope some of you can help me with or even find people that are in similar predicaments.

Is there a way to work as an assistant in nursing while waiting for my nursing registration (I have a German nursing certificate and a bachelor's degree in Applied Health Care Science in Nursing) or would I have to be registered as an enrolled nurse?

Is there a different visa option that would allow me to do casual work while waiting for my skills to be assessed by AHPRA? In the long run I want to go for a Skilled Independent Visa.

Can I get an extension on my eVisitor without leaving the country or is it absolutely necessary to leave Australia every three months?

Sorry I know this was a lot to read through, so if you've taken the time to do so then thanks! Any kind of advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Saskia
Hi
You can not work on any kind of visitors visa. You may be eligible for a working holiday visa have you explored that path yet?
As far as nursing goes I know it is difficult to get a direct acceptance of overseas qualifications without some bridging studies and a pass in the relevant English Language test.

·
Registered
346 Posts
As Steve mentioned, you can not work on evisitor visa. You may need to look into other visa options which allows you to work in Aus.
You need to have AHPRA registration to work as a registered/Enrolled nurse.
I work in a Public hospital as a nurse.Usually,Nurse Assistant jobs advertised interally and very competitive like any other entry level job. Hospitals prefer AUS citizens or PR holders and accepts Temperory visa holders in some cases. I have not seen anyone yet successfully getting job in Metro Hospital on working holiday visa, could be different situation in rural areas.
You best bet will be work in an agency as a nurse assistant until you get your registration.
You need visa with work rights to work in AUS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.