Australia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My children were born in UK but have Aus citizenship by decent. They have certificates to prove this. Can they travel to Aus on their UK passports and bring the certificates? Or do they need a Visa? I have heard people in a similar situation have had difficulty at border control but ultimately are let in.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
My children were born in UK but have Aus citizenship by decent. They have certificates to prove this. Can they travel to Aus on their UK passports and bring the certificates? Or do they need a Visa? I have heard people in a similar situation have had difficulty at border control but ultimately are let in.

Thanks
With current flight restrictions you might even find the airline won't permit boarding without a visa or an Australian passport.

Arriving in Australia without a visa or Australian passport will cause issues, where immigration will need to go through a process to confirm validity of citizenship. So expect a nervous delay on arrival, at best.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts

Thanks
They cannot enter Australia on a foreign passport, and Australian citizens cannot be granted a visa by law. The simplest thing would be to get them their Aussie passports. As you say, they can’t be refused entry, but the hassle factor will likely be high, at both departure and arrival points, particularly if you have no form of paperwork.

It is possible to get something called an “Australian Declaratory Visa’, which confusingly is not actually a visa, to evidence their citizenship against their UK passports, but its probably just as easy arrange the passports. You can also ask for a no documents uplift letter from the government. The Australian HC in London is generally pretty helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They cannot enter Australia on a foreign passport, and Australian citizens cannot be granted a visa by law. The simplest thing would be to get them their Aussie passports. As you say, they can’t be refused entry, but the hassle factor will likely be high, at both departure and arrival points, particularly if you have no form of paperwork.

It is possible to get something called an “Australian Declaratory Visa’, which confusingly is not actually a visa, to evidence their citizenship against their UK passports, but its probably just as easy arrange the passports. You can also ask for a no documents uplift letter from the government. The Australian HC in London is generally pretty helpful.
Cheers Paul. Any idea what the quickest timeframe for a passport is? Will also try the Australian IC today, though, last time we tried this, couldn’t get through to a human.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts