Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am planning to apply for skilled migration visa shortly and have read the criteria for points based migration in the immigration website. Before I start to apply, I wanted to check with you all on some of the areas I am confused about so that I know I am eligible to apply (No point in wasting $500 if I am not eligible to get 60 points)

1. I had my bachelors in chemical engineering and have been working in IT industry for 8 years now. I guess Chem Engg is not an ICT major/minor course, so I would have to apply for RPL. In my engineering courses, I did have a couple of courses of programming, etc. With those, can this degree be considered as ICT minor?
2. Will I get 15 points in the educational qualifications category? I know its unrelated to the work I have been doing, but will it not be counted at all?
3. While submitting RPL, do I need to attach the employment reference letter as well?
4. Any idea on how many years of experience will the ACS assessment deduct? I am reading blogs and some have reported that they deduct 4 years or 2 years.

I know these are silly questions for a lot of people in the forum, but I would appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi djuser,

If those programming courses you refer are a Microsoft or a Cisco Certification, that would be comparable to an ICT Major at the AQF Diploma Level. If not, and as you indicate, your only option is going for the RPL. In that case 6 years will be deducted from your IT work experience giving you 0 points (you will only have 2 years experience).

Not sure how DIBP will assess your degree as it is not IT related.

Thanks,

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi Djuser,

1) Page 10 of the assessment guide deals with qualification ICT content: http://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets...ills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants.pdf

2) If it is a recognised bachelor degree you can claim 15 points even if its in an unrelated subject. If it's not a recognised degree you can apply to Vetassess to have them assess it first and then if they compare it to an Australian bachelor degree you can claim 15 points.

3) Yes

4) 6 years. (RPL with a non ICT degree)

All the best,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Adam and Marlon,
I really appreciate your response. I had two more questions.

1. Is there a way to find out if my bachelors degree in Chemical Engg is recognized? I checked Vetassess website and its mentioned that they do not evaluate college/university courses. The university from which I have a degree is a government recognized university.
2. If ACS deducts 6 years from my 8 years of experience, I will get 0 points for the remaining 2 years but my score will still be 65 as I have a good IELTS score. Do you think its a good idea to apply now or should I wait for another year so that I can get atleast some points on my work experience then. My thought is - can the Visa be rejected because I have 0 points in the work experience category?

·
Registered
509 Posts
1) You need to check the Country Education Profiles (AEI-NOOSR) to see if it would be comparable to the Australian equivalent. Vetassess do evaluate unrelated degrees for points purposes, you may not need it though: http://www.vetassess.com.au/downloa...sment/SRG34 Application.pdf?id=061220130834PM

2) The visa can't be rejected through having no work experience points. As long as you score above 60 I see no point in waiting. However, you shouldn't lodge your EOI until you complete the ACS assessment anyway.

All the best,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.