Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would like to get your opinions regarding which visa or action should I take.

So I'm a Filipino citizen and I've been dating my Australian boyfriend for almost 3 years, he's been here in the Philippines for 3 times now and this time he wants me to visit him. Eventually we are planning on living together and get married. He wants me to live with him in Australia. But we aren't sure of what steps to take in order to achieve that.

What visa to get?
What is the best and easiest way to do it?
How much do we need?

I would appreciate if you can help us. We would like to hear from you. Thank you :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi, I would like to get your opinions regarding which visa or action should I take.

So I'm a Filipino citizen and I've been dating my Australian boyfriend for almost 3 years, he's been here in the Philippines for 3 times now and this time he wants me to visit him. Eventually we are planning on living together and get married. He wants me to live with him in Australia. But we aren't sure of what steps to take in order to achieve that.

What visa to get?
How much do we need?

I would appreciate if you can help us. We would like to hear from you. Thank you :)
Probably in your situation best bet is prospective marriage visa 300. But you will have to be engaged and committ to marry within 9 months of the visa grant. It will cost about $7000 au for the initial visa application then another $1100 when you apply for the partner visa 820 onshore (after the marriage).
You could try for a tourist visa but you might not get it if you don't have much ties to your home country (i.e house/assets/job/former travel etc). That only costs around $150 though so it doesn't cost so much to apply. If you get a tourist visa you could later apply onshore for the partner visa (cost $7000) when you have enough evidence to meet the criteria.

I don't know enough about your circumstances to say if you qualify for offshore partner visa 309 (also costs $7000). You should probably see a registered migration agent to discuss your particular circumstances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably in your situation best bet is prospective marriage visa 300. But you will have to be engaged and committ to marry within 9 months of the visa grant. It will cost about $7000 au for the initial visa application then another $1100 when you apply for the partner visa 820 onshore (after the marriage).
You could try for a tourist visa but you might not get it if you don't have much ties to your home country (i.e house/assets/job/former travel etc). That only costs around $150 though so it doesn't cost so much to apply. If you get a tourist visa you could later apply onshore for the partner visa (cost $7000) when you have enough evidence to meet the criteria.

I don't know enough about your circumstances to say if you qualify for offshore partner visa 309 (also costs $7000). You should probably see a registered migration agent to discuss your particular circumstances.
Thank you for that information!

I'm planning to apply for a tourist visa on January and hopefully it can be granted so I can visit my bf on March. I have all the necessary documents for that, I'm also thinking if it will make my application more easier if my bf provide a letter of invitation and proof of financial capability to support me during my visit.

As for the the PMV to PV onshore path, we have been deciding if its best option. It's a little bit expensive, so we are still open for other options.

For the offshore visa, that I'm not so sure since my bf and I never really lived together for a period of time, so we can't declare a de facto relationship. But I have read somewhere that it is possible to get our relationship registered which will help in getting a PV. Since my bf lives in Victoria, and it states that Only one person in a relationship needs to be living in Victoria. But it also says, Just 3 months of residence is required now whereas previously 12 months had to be proved. That I don't really understand. Does the 3 months of residence means that I should live in Victoria for 3 months? or is it fine with just my bf, since he is already a citizen.

Any suggestions? Hope you guys can help >.< Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
For the offshore visa, that I'm not so sure since my bf and I never really lived together for a period of time, so we can't declare a de facto relationship. But I have read somewhere that it is possible to get our relationship registered which will help in getting a PV. Since my bf lives in Victoria, and it states that Only one person in a relationship needs to be living in Victoria. But it also says, Just 3 months of residence is required now whereas previously 12 months had to be proved. That I don't really understand. Does the 3 months of residence means that I should live in Victoria for 3 months? or is it fine with just my bf, since he is already a citizen.

Any suggestions? Hope you guys can help >.< Thanks in advance!
I believe it's the sponsor, in this case it would be your boyfriend. Also, when applying for a visa to live in Australia permanently, avoid the word boyfriend and girlfriend. You're committing to a partnership together, boyfriend/girlfriend just sounds to casual. At least that's the advice I have been given on these forums.

Also, I would strongly recommend you read through the migration handbook. It may answer a lot of your questions, it will also show you the criteria you need to satisfy in order to successfully apply for a visa. Because right now, to me, it sounds like you've only met a handful of times in person and don't have much more than texts, calls and travel to and from to support your application.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
1) Read up as much as you can about the 3 different options: prospective marriage visa sc. 300, offshore partner visas 309/100 and onshore partner visa 820/801, so you understand the different requirements.
2) Work out a strategy and a timeframe
3)Start gathering documentation.

Although you should never take it for granted, in my personal experience, it is relatively easy for Filipinos/Filipinas who are in a relationship with an Australian, to obtain a tourist visa. A tourist visa would enable you to visit your partner in Australia, while an offshore partner visa is being processed.

If you met the relationship requirements, you could possibly apply for an onshore partner visa, while in Australia on a tourist visa without "no further stay" condition. Keep in mind that from next year on, the sponsorship may have to be approved first, before a partner visa application can be lodged. This can cause problems for people on 3 month tourist visa, as their 3 month stay period could expire before they have the opportunity to lodge the partner visa application.

Reactions: markw

·
Registered
6,878 Posts

What visa to get?
How much do we need?

My wife is Filipina, I am Australian Citizen.

We did a 3 month tourist visa, so she could see Australia, after returning to the Philippines, we then did a PMV (subclass 300), and applied for (and were granted) a 12 month tourist visa, while waiting for the PMV to be finalised.

The cost is a pain, but no real way around that.
You are looking at just over $7,000 for a direct Partner Visa, or just over $8,000 for the PMV-Partner Visa route.

But in the end it is worth it, we did the PMV, got married, did the 820 and next is the 801 Permanent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.