Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

This forum has been incredibly useful and I am hoping I can get some advice on our situation. Currently, I am on a 485 visa and I would like my partner to join me in Australia as my de facto partner. As we have been long distance for the last months, we don't meet the 1 year requirement, so we will register our relationship... We have two options, to register it in Australia, or in the Netherlands, where he is from, and where we intend to live after my 485 visa.

So the question is, if we registered our relationship in the Netherlands (We already checked and it will be valid here), what would be the appropriate visa for him to come and lodge the application as a subsequent entrant for the 485 onshore? We are concerned he might get his entry refused at the airport if he comes on an eVisitor and immigration realises his partner is in Australia, and suspects he will lodge an application to join me, which is technically not being a tourist or not a temporary genuine entrant.

I've read about people repeatedly come in with an eVisitor to live with their partner while their Partner visa is processed, and leaving every 3 months. So I don't know what's the real probability of him actually getting his entry refused... what do you think? Are we drowning in a glass of water?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
As we have been long distance for the last months, we don't meet the 1 year requirement
Are you saying that you have only been in the relationship for several months or that it's a long term relationship and you have just been apart for the past few months?

It's the length of the overall relationship that matters, not the amount of time you were physically living together immediately before applying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you saying that you have only been in the relationship for several months or that it's a long term relationship and you have just been apart for the past few months?

It's the length of the overall relationship that matters, not the amount of time you were physically living together immediately before applying.
Thanks for replying! The overall relationship has been longer than 12 months, but we have been apart several months recently... But I think the main problem is we do not have strong evidence of cohabitation of the months we were physically together, so that's why we decided to register our relationship. After all, we actually have a plan to remain together in the longterm. However, we are concerned about the relationship registration jeopardising his visitor visa when he tries to come back to Australia to lodge his application onshore :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.