Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 43 and am retired U.S. Army. I'm currently in Australia on a 12 month Holiday Visa. I'm wondering if there is a way to request my Holiday Visa to be upgraded/changed to a Work Visa. I am living with my girlfriend and want to know if this is possible to do so I can get a job and help out more. I draw a retirement pension but it is only about $1,500 after taxes so isn't really a lot of help.

I came here on a Holiday Visa so my girlfriend and me could meet the 12 month living together requirement so we can apply for a partner visa at the end of the 12 months, but that is still 9 months away. So I was just curious how hard it is to request a work Visa or if it is even possible to request one while on a Holiday Visa.

I am keeping my nose clean and abiding by all rules to my Visa because I don't need to risk being in violation and ruining what me and her have been working towards.

Any information would be great, thank you.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I am 43 and am retired U.S. Army. I'm currently in Australia on a 12 month Holiday Visa. I'm wondering if there is a way to request my Holiday Visa to be upgraded/changed to a Work Visa. I am living with my girlfriend and want to know if this is possible to do so I can get a job and help out more. I draw a retirement pension but it is only about $1,500 after taxes so isn't really a lot of help.

I came here on a Holiday Visa so my girlfriend and me could meet the 12 month living together requirement so we can apply for a partner visa at the end of the 12 months, but that is still 9 months away. So I was just curious how hard it is to request a work Visa or if it is even possible to request one while on a Holiday Visa.

I am keeping my nose clean and abiding by all rules to my Visa because I don't need to risk being in violation and ruining what me and her have been working towards.

Any information would be great, thank you.
There is no easy way for you to get from a tourist visa to a work visa. I see though that you do plan to go over to a partner visa. If you registered your relationship or got married then you could bring your application for a partner visa forward in time. Though your bridging visa that you would get after applying for an 820 wouldn't kick in until your tourist visa is done with so I guess you still couldn't work until then. Perhaps you should talk to Mark Northam and see if you have any other options that would help.

Kttykat

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no easy way for you to get from a tourist visa to a work visa. I see though that you do plan to go over to a partner visa. If you registered your relationship or got married then you could bring your application for a partner visa forward in time. Though your bridging visa that you would get after applying for an 820 wouldn't kick in until your tourist visa is done with so I guess you still couldn't work until then. Perhaps you should talk to Mark Northam and see if you have any other options that would help.

Kttykat
Thanks Kittykat. I didn't really think there was but doesn't hurt to ask. As far as registering our relationship we are in WA and is not considered here as part of the immigration process for this state like it is in other parts of Australia (silly but it is what it is) . In fact they just started registering relationships in this state and immigration put out an official notice that they would not consider it. We will however register any ways because by the time a year is finished maybe the rule will change here, better safe than sorry.

I will contact Mark Northam and see what he has to say in my particular situation, thanks :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.