Australia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Apologies for this long winded post, I’m a little stressed about my current situation. I’m currently in Sydney on a visitor visa 600. I arrived in Australia last December to spend Christmas with my husband. I was granted a 6 month tourist visa. I intended to return to Belgium in March as I was due to begin a teacher training course in my home country. But due to Covid-19 I wasn’t able to fly and my course also moved to distance learning. I stayed in Sydney until June when my visa was expiring and then applied for another tourist visa on the grounds that I could not leave because of the pandemic. My husband and I felt that it would be better I stay in Australia as god knows how long the borders will remain closed. I was granted another 3 month visa which expires in October.
My question is should I leave Australia in October? I have no firm commitments in Belgium and don’t want to be stuck away from my husband for an indefinite period of time. So we’re leaning towards applying for another tourist visa. What are the chances that I’ll get another tourist visa considering I’d already be in Australia for 10 months come October? I just don’t want a visa refusal on my file. The other thing to consider is that we are waiting for my 309 partner visa to come through and I know I have to be offshore for it to be granted. A friend of ours is saying I should return to Belgium as he thinks the partner visa will be processed quicker if I’m offshore, is that true? Just for info, I’ve already waited 15 months for my 309, we were hoping it would be approved before October but no luck so far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Hello,
Apologies for this long winded post, I'm a little stressed about my current situation. I'm currently in Sydney on a visitor visa 600. I arrived in Australia last December to spend Christmas with my husband. I was granted a 6 month tourist visa. I intended to return to Belgium in March as I was due to begin a teacher training course in my home country. But due to Covid-19 I wasn't able to fly and my course also moved to distance learning. I stayed in Sydney until June when my visa was expiring and then applied for another tourist visa on the grounds that I could not leave because of the pandemic. My husband and I felt that it would be better I stay in Australia as god knows how long the borders will remain closed. I was granted another 3 month visa which expires in October.
My question is should I leave Australia in October? I have no firm commitments in Belgium and don't want to be stuck away from my husband for an indefinite period of time. So we're leaning towards applying for another tourist visa. What are the chances that I'll get another tourist visa considering I'd already be in Australia for 10 months come October? I just don't want a visa refusal on my file. The other thing to consider is that we are waiting for my 309 partner visa to come through and I know I have to be offshore for it to be granted. A friend of ours is saying I should return to Belgium as he thinks the partner visa will be processed quicker if I'm offshore, is that true? Just for info, I've already waited 15 months for my 309, we were hoping it would be approved before October but no luck so far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It is unlikely that a visa refusal on a tourist visa would affect your other visa applications because the criteria are different . Plenty of people had such visa refused and it did not affect their partner visas. It is a different story if you overstay a visa, this could have an impact, so don't do it.

You could also go to New Zealand for a week and come back on a new visitor or tourist visa for three more months and do so until your final visa is granted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt reply. I thought New Zealand had closed its borders in the pandemic? We had discounted New Zealand as I didn’t think I could fly there but I’ll double check.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,110 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply. I thought New Zealand had closed its borders in the pandemic? We had discounted New Zealand as I didn't think I could fly there but I'll double check.
A few people have been getting into New Zealand, but they face government supervised quarantine for 2 weeks.

With the virus appearing to have escaped quarantine recently, they may well tighten up even further.

Only New Zealand residents and citizens (and their children and partners) are permitted to enter New Zealand. This includes the Realm countries (the Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau), Australian citizens and permanent residents ordinarily resident in New Zealand.

People from any other countries can't enter New Zealand at this time, unless they have specific grounds for exemption
.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work...19-current-situation/covid-19-border-controls
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I do not meet the criteria for entry into New Zealand as I am a Belgian citizen. Thanks for the info though.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top