Australia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Hope you are well.

I'd like to join my husband in Oz while we wait for me PR309/100 which is in the further assessment stage. I've been granted an exemption, I'm just not sure which visitor visa I need to apply for:

visitor visa - tourist stream
visitor visa - sponsored family stream.

Any idea? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Hi All,

Hope you are well.

I'd like to join my husband in Oz while we wait for me PR309/100 which is in the further assessment stage. I've been granted an exemption, I'm just not sure which visitor visa I need to apply for:

visitor visa - tourist stream
visitor visa - sponsored family stream.

Any idea? Thanks in advance.
We did the tourist stream while waiting for the 300 PMV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You will likely not get your 600 visa approved at this moment due to the pandemic. JandE applied for it well before covid and that was the way to go back then.

My husband applied for 600 (sponsored family) in February last year and never got that approved, which usually took less than 10 days pre-pandemic. Although he had his 309/100 approved almost half a year later.

I could be wrong, but my guess is with the border closure, they may not be processing tourist or family visitor visas at this moment.

Edit: just saw you've been granted an exemption, what exemption is that?

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
An average of about 10,000 Tourist Visitor visas were being granted each month during July to Dec 2020, in the COVID restricted period.

A massive reduction from the 470,000 per month before COVID.

There have been a lot of subclass 309 applicants getting a tourist visitor visa granted during COVID.

The Travel Ban Exemption has allowed many to enter, and then be granted the 309 without needed to leave Australia.

The travel ban exemption application needs to be quite well explained to get the exemption and the visitor visa.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will likely not get your 600 visa approved at this moment due to the pandemic. JandE applied for it well before covid and that was the way to go back then.

My husband applied for 600 (sponsored family) in February last year and never got that approved, which usually took less than 10 days pre-pandemic. Although he had his 309/100 approved almost half a year later.

I could be wrong, but my guess is with the border closure, they may not be processing tourist or family visitor visas at this moment.

Edit: just saw you've been granted an exemption, what exemption is that?
Sorry for the late reply! I was granted an exemption (immediate family) the applied for a visitor visa 600 which was granted a couple of days later. A day after the 600 was granted I received an email saying my 309/100 were both granted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for the late reply! I was granted an exemption (immediate family) the applied for a visitor visa 600 which was granted a couple of days later. A day after the 600 was granted I received an email saying my 309/100 were both granted.
Hi Amanda,
Do you think it’s a good idea to apply for the exemption just to speed up the 309 process? Even if not planning to go to Ozz in the next couple of months?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Amanda,
Do you think it’s a good idea to apply for the exemption just to speed up the 309 process? Even if not planning to go to Ozz in the next couple of months?
From my experience it depends on when you plan to travel. For the exemption it states your travel dates should be no more than 2 months and no less than 2 weeks before travel. I can't say for sure that applying for the 600/exemption had anything to do with receiving my 309/100 but it definitely didn't hurt. The 600 costs $145AUD so depends on if you want to spend any more money. We had flights (for mid Aug) booked on the hopes of the 309/100 being granted so when we were nearing the end of July we thought it was worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From my experience it depends on when you plan to travel. For the exemption it states your travel dates should be no more than 2 months and no less than 2 weeks before travel. I can't say for sure that applying for the 600/exemption had anything to do with receiving my 309/100 but it definitely didn't hurt. The 600 costs $145AUD so depends on if you want to spend any more money. We had flights (for mid Aug) booked on the hopes of the 309/100 being granted so when we were nearing the end of July we thought it was worth it.
I see what you mean, makes sense to do so when timelines are a bit more concrete then within a couple of months timeframe.
Thanks and congrats :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts