Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw some comments discussing applying for a W&HV462 while waiting for PMV 300 to be process by Washington DC and the idea sounds interesting and I wanted to know if anyone knew any more about it.

My fiance and I applied for a PMV 300 beginning of April this year, so we have a good 11-12 months to wait for approval so him being able to come here and work while we waited for the PMV would be wonderful.

Would he be able to apply for it and come here without it effecting our PMV application?

He works freelance independent contractor online via a few companies, however I am not sure how the 6 months limit would work with this? Looking on the gov website seems to indicate you can use the same agency/labour supplier to find work, which is similar to what he does.

Any information would be great help. Just currently exploring options since 12 months is a long time.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Yes. Lots of people come to Oz on tourists visas or WHV/W&HVs if eligible while waiting. Just keep in mind that if the 300 is granted before the 462 is, to withdraw the 462 application immediately. And if he's onshore when the 300 is ready for grant, they'll ask him to leave to any country for 3-5 days. Make sure he updates his contact details (phone, address, etc) when he gets here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes. Lots of people come to Oz on tourists visas or WHV/W&HVs if eligible while waiting. Just keep in mind that if the 300 is granted before the 462 is, to withdraw the 462 application immediately. And if he's onshore when the 300 is ready for grant, they'll ask him to leave to any country for 3-5 days. Make sure he updates his contact details (phone, address, etc) when he gets here.
Thank you for your reply Skybluebrewer.

That is good to know. We would apply in the next few months so it is highly unlikely by current trends that our 300 visa will be granted before the 462.

Will the approval of the 300 visa immediately override the 462 visa? We are just very wary of it affecting his 300 visa.

Also how strict is the $5000AUD requirement + money for ticket home requirement? Will $5000AUD satisfy both or do you need $5000 AUD plus another $xxxx for the plane ticket? Would $4000AUD satisfy it?

Also would it they care that he has no intention on working with an Australian employer, and just stick with his freelance agency job?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Like I said, plenty of people apply for offshore partner visas and then apply for other visas to come to Oz while waiting. I did an ETA since I couldn't do the 462. A friend did the 462 after a 300 app. All you do is leave when told to for the grant and then come back and you'll be on the 300.

I can't answer much else but from what I've seen on here, it seems to be the unlucky draw. Some people are never questioned and others need to supply proof of funds and so on.

I'm not a professional so can only speak on personal experience.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said, plenty of people apply for offshore partner visas and then apply for other visas to come to Oz while waiting. I did an ETA since I couldn't do the 462. A friend did the 462 after a 300 app. All you do is leave when told to for the grant and then come back and you'll be on the 300.

I can't answer much else but from what I've seen on here, it seems to be the unlucky draw. Some people are never questioned and others need to supply proof of funds and so on.

I'm not a professional so can only speak on personal experience.
Thanks your reply regardless. Your comments in another thread are what even drew my attention to this possibility I believe.

He doesn't have $5000 in savings right now but he also has access to a few grand via credit cards, so worse case, we could use those I suspect.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Thank you for your reply Skybluebrewer.

That is good to know. We would apply in the next few months so it is highly unlikely by current trends that our 300 visa will be granted before the 462.

Will the approval of the 300 visa immediately override the 462 visa? We are just very wary of it affecting his 300 visa.

Also how strict is the $5000AUD requirement + money for ticket home requirement? Will $5000AUD satisfy both or do you need $5000 AUD plus another $xxxx for the plane ticket? Would $4000AUD satisfy it?

Also would it they care that he has no intention on working with an Australian employer, and just stick with his freelance agency job?
Beware of deciding what current trends are.

There have been a lot of =< 3 month grants of late.

Remember the statistics on immigrations website are within x timeframe not at x timeframe.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beware of deciding what current trends are.

There have been a lot of =< 3 month grants of late.

Remember the statistics on immigrations website are within x timeframe not at x timeframe.
I know that applications from London and Canada are being approved within a few months, but those from the USA seem to be taking 11+ months at the moment. Or at least based on those that comment on this forum.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
True, but the forum is only a tiny percentage of applicants.

The US went from processing apps within a few months to all of a sudden taking 9 months or more. Wait times can change drastically from one month to the next really. Right now people are waiting nearer to a year, but who knows if they'll process a whole bunch at once and if the occasional fresh applicant gets thrown into the bunch. That's exactly what you see with Canada and the UK. The majority wait much longer than a few months. Where several Canadian apps came in at 2-3 months or less, there were plenty more that had been waiting well over a year and still waited after that.

The key thing is to remember that if the 300 is granted before the 462, to withdraw the 462 application.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True, but the forum is only a tiny percentage of applicants.
That is very true. And something Im hoping is the case as I would like to get married sooner rather than later!

The key thing is to remember that if the 300 is granted before the 462, to withdraw the 462 application.
Oh definitely.
We currently haven't done his health and police checks, so the 300 wont get approved suddenly any time soon.

On that topic, does anyone know if you can get health exams for offshore visas done in Australia? Need to figure out if we need it done before he comes here (if he can/does).

·
Registered
258 Posts
That is very true. And something Im hoping is the case as I would like to get married sooner rather than later!

Oh definitely.
We currently haven't done his health and police checks, so the 300 wont get approved suddenly any time soon.

On that topic, does anyone know if you can get health exams for offshore visas done in Australia? Need to figure out if we need it done before he comes here (if he can/does).
To the best of my knowledge, as long as it's done by a panel physician, the medical can be done anywhere. Just keep in mind the cost of getting it done in Australia versus where ever your partner is. For instance, mine was slightly subsidised by my Canadian provincial healthcare.

Reactions: Pyrite

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We are applying for the 462 this weekend. I have one more question that maybe someone can answer here (we have contacted the migration agent we spoke to but he has not gotten back to us!):

Should we write a short letter stating that yes we have applied for a 300 but we fully intend to comply with every requirement on the 462 visa and that he will leave if the 462 expires before the 300 is granted? Or better just not to mention it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.