Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I applied for partner visa 820 in February of 2018, and so I am now on a Bridging Visa waiting game stage. My question is this:

Should my partner and I lodge our taxes together or still do them separately as we haven't yet been approved for our visa. I was thinking it may definitely look better if we apply together but the circumstances are all very confusing as I am sure you can understand.

Any advice if you have been through this tax time yet would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you applied for the 820, you are living in Australia with your partner waiting for your visa. That means that you are regarded as spouses for taxation purposes. It doesn't matter if you have a partner visa or not.

From the ATO website:
"Spouse details - married or de facto 2018
Your spouse includes another person (of any sex) who:

- you were in a relationship with that was registered under a prescribed state or territory law
- although not legally married to you, lived with you on a genuine domestic basis in a relationship as a couple."
https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-return/2018/Tax-return/Spouse-details---married-or-de-facto-2018/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that info!

We are under different tax brackets as I am technically still on my WHV rules even though I am on a bridging visa, which means we are taxed differently, so it seems like we should do it separately, but I don't want to jeopardise our application obviously. Seems easier to do them separately but not sure if we are allowed to.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
You were on a WHV, now on a Bridging Visa that will have the same tax rates now as your partner.

You would be best to get an accountant to do your tax to get the correct and best lodgement.

I think you will find you get pro rata for the time on the WHV - it that was most for the year, that's great.

·
Registered
60 Posts
thanks for that info!

We are under different tax brackets as I am technically still on my WHV rules even though I am on a bridging visa, which means we are taxed differently, so it seems like we should do it separately, but I don't want to jeopardise our application obviously. Seems easier to do them separately but not sure if we are allowed to.

Thanks.
You each have to do your own tax return, but you list each other as a spouse. It asks you if you have been a spouse for the entire taxation year, and if you haven't, it will calculate the percentage that you have been.

I agree is ampk, and accountant would be the best way to get your tax return done this year.

Reactions: JandE

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Should my partner and I lodge our taxes together or still do them separately as we haven't yet been approved for our visa.
Everyone does an individual tax return, there isn't a joint return (unless things have changed very recently) .

With a partner, irrelevant to any visa grants, you each put the others taxable income total in the relevant section, but that is as far as it goes.

Try not to leave that out, as it indicates you don't have a partner. Not a good result when waiting for a partner visa grant.

If not certain about doing your own tax, it would be advisable to get a tax agent to do it at least once, and then follow that in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.