Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Finally submitted by parter 820 visa on the 1st of june. Received a letter of notification and the payment receipt a week later, which was exciting!

but i have heard absolutely nothing from them since. would it be rude to email them to check up on it? i mean im getting a bit anxious that i haven't even gotten info on getting a case officer or anything yet. should i just keep waiting?

also my bf and i would love to go on holiday soon for just a week. once i received the letter from immigration i learned i was on a Bridging Visa A. It says that I need a Bridging Visa B if I want to travel. But then it says that I need a compelling reason to travel! So i called immigration and yup sure enough they said that going away on holiday isn't enough. This is bizarre since on the official letter and in another phone call I asked them on whether I could leave or not, no mention of compelling reasons was necessary. The last guy i talked to from immigration said with the BvB you shouldn't have a problem travelling. HELP!

Has anyone gone through this or had the same problem?

Cheers =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
Hi,

At the moment the average onshore application time is 9 months (that's what it said in the letter my husband got when he applied), so not having a CO at this point in time is not at all unusual. It's a long wait, unfortunately.

About travelling, I originally thought that they don't want you to travel because you have to be here when a decision is made, but there must be another reason.
Here's the application form to apply for a Briding visa B - permission to travel:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1006.pdf
You'll find that it says:
Requirements for grant of the Bridging visa B
The requirements to be satisfied in order to be granted a
Bridging visa B include that:
• you must be the holder of a bridging visa A or B;
• you must have substantial reasons for wishing to leave and
re-enter Australia; and
• your return to Australia would not be contrary to the public
interest.


You might want to quickly call immigration again on 131 881 and ask if you are likely to be granted the BvB if you just want to holiday for 1 week.

Where do you want to go by the way? Thailand, New Zealand...?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To New Zealand for a snow trip...

I think I will go down to the office tomorrow and ask again.
To me they all seem pretty inconsistent with information over the phone x.x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
To New Zealand for a snow trip...

I think I will go down to the office tomorrow and ask again.
To me they all seem pretty inconsistent with information over the phone x.x
I hope you get to go, New Zealand is amazing...yes, I hate calling aswell, I never get a consistent answer. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Hey Lexuszips, just wondering how you went with the BVB? I'm applying for one in a few weeks - applied for my 820 back in March and not heard anything. My friend said that she took proof that she booked her trip before she applied for the visa and that helped - not sure if you're in the same position? They seem to have loosened up the BVB rules from what I've heard, fingers crossed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so i went to immigration yesterday, at least the lady there was really nice =)

basically she said the application doesn't guarantee that you will be allowed to leave the country. you can include evidence such as tickets you may have bought already, etc. but she didn't mention any restrictions, such as the need for valid reasons to travel. they have to assess your case, which apparently can take up to a few weeks. they look at how often you travel outside the country, your reasons, etc.

it costs $105. you fill the application out and send it to the processing center in your state. but like i said, it doesn't guarantee you any approval. so i don't really know if it's worth it. i haven't bought any tickets yet... might just have to go down to perisher or thredbo for the snow. plus i'm a bit pressed for time.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top