Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my partner (Australian) and I are in a complicated situation, and I need advice.

I applied for the 820 visa on 13 July 2017 and haven't heard anything back yet. I'm currently on a 457 which expires May 2020 (4-year visa).

My partner has a potential job in another state (he has struggled to find work where my 457 is) but we are concerned about de facto status since I can not go with him as I do not want to quit my job and risk cancellation of my 457. So we'd be doing the long-distance thing again as we did for the first 3 years we were together!

What is the best course of action?

We are struggling to make ends meet money wise with just my income and he is sick of sitting around, not advancing in his career while we are waiting for my visa to be approved. Neither of us want to live in the location where my 457 visa is and frankly I've had enough of the job and want to leave.

We have been together for 6 years, not married but have been living together for almost 3 years. I've been in Australia for 4 years and we didn't apply for the 820 straight up as we were travelling and didn't have proof of 12-months de facto when my employer offered me the sponsorship.

If we do decide that him taking this job is for the best, I'd move down with him as soon as my visa is approved and I give enough notice to my employer. So if we do this, do we attach an explanation document to the visa? I'm hoping the case worker would consider our difficult situation but I really don't know how any of this works. The plan so far is that he takes the job, we move out of our rental home and he lives where his new job is and my employer is willing to rent me a room in a house the company owns.

Is this too much of a risk to our 820 application? We're really getting desperate. A coworker of mine had his wife's (of 6-weeks mind you) visa approved in 6 months and they applied one month after I did so I feel like this whole process is so unfair.

If anyone has any advice or has been in a similar situation, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
If it's not you living separate and apart on a permanent basis then I wouldn't think it would be an issue. Obviously immigration wants to see proof of contact while apart.

My partner and I went from living together to him having to go FIFO. Technically, he only lives with us 1/3rd of the year!

I'm not an expert, but I would think you'd want to upload a statement or something briefly describing the situation. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.