Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew international students can be exempted work experiences within 6 months from completion date of study. Also, 485 visa (Skilled-Graduate) holders can be exempted work experiences within the duration of visa (18 months). Therefore, I know 485 visa holders can apply for PR at any time with waiver of work experiences within 18 months if they can get 120 points.
However, one MARN said 485 visa holders must have 1 year work experiences to apply for PR if 6 months expired from completion of study. I have never heard about it and I'm not sure if he is right. I don't understand his argument. Who anyone knows about it? Is he right or wrong?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
The 485 has eligibility requirements and likewise a PR application and whilst one of the reasons for the 485 is to allow experience to be obtained if that in itself will help someone get sufficient points for a PR application to be successful, if that experiebce is unnecessary to meet eligibility for a PR application, there is no reason why a PR application could not be made and some may be able to do that without even applying for the 485 first.

The other area where experience is a requirement is if somone has undertaken a trade or other course and there is the Job Ready assessment program that requires experience and the agent may be referring to that situation.

So you could say it is not so much an experience requirement waiver but that an applicant needs to look at what their eligibility is for a visa.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 485 has eligibility requirements and likewise a PR application and whilst one of the reasons for the 485 is to allow experience to be obtained if that in itself will help someone get sufficient points for a PR application to be successful, if that experiebce is unnecessary to meet eligibility for a PR application, there is no reason why a PR application could not be made and some may be able to do that without even applying for the 485 first.

The other area where experience is a requirement is if somone has undertaken a trade or other course and there is the Job Ready assessment program that requires experience and the agent may be referring to that situation.

So you could say it is not so much an experience requirement waiver but that an applicant needs to look at what their eligibility is for a visa.
Thanks for your reply. Some of 485 holders don't need work experiences to get 120 points. I will explain my situation. I applied for 485 visa after I complete my study. At present, I'm in bridging and I'm doing Professional Year. My professional year will be finished this June and I expect my 485 visa will be granted this June. I can get 120 points and I can apply for PR. But, according to the MARN, he argued I must have 1 year work experience because I completed my study before 7 months even if 485 visa is granted. Therefore, I'm confused and don't understand it.
One more, I know one of ways to obtain 120 points is to get IELTS 7.0. One of the MARN's arguments is that 485 visa holders who completed their study before over 6 months must have 1 year experiences even if they obtain IELTS 7.0 and get 120 points for PR. Do you think he is right?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
One of the basic requirements for both the 485 and the 885/886 is to apply within six months of completing approved study so on that basis you'll need to have the 485 granted before an application.
If your occupational assessment is dependent on a 12 months PDY, that is another aspect where the 12 months could be required.
But other than those aspects, I do not know why he would be asserting you have to do it and perhaps if he is confusing you, check out the eligibility requirements yourself via Skilled - Independent (Residence) Visa (Subclass 885) and ask the agent to clarify what they mean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.